brake line rusted fast to brake cylinder!

351 82GT

Founding Member
Mar 19, 2002
My buddy and I went to replace both my rear brake cylinder on my '88GT but could not get the brake line off because it was rusted fast! It was soaked wit PB blaster the night before and we spayed more on today but to no avail. What's my options? Cut the line and replace the section of line that runs into that junction box on the rear (and hope the other end of the line comes out of that block)? We tried heating it and everything but the nut would NOT budge!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok... try heating everything AROUND the nut instead of the nut itself. Remove the rubber from the old cylinder and open the bleed port first. Have something handy to douse a fire with in case the brake fluid lights up.

I'd tell you to use the torch with the yellow tank instead of the propane but you gotta use what you have on hand.

Here's hoping you have a three quarter wrap box end wrench. If you don't, maybe you have an old box end that you wouldn't mind cutting up, to fit around the line itself and onto the nut.

Get the cylinder nice and hot around the nut then try tightening it ever so much then back it off.

Do not use an adjustable wrench as you'll just end up rounding off the fitting. A 6 point box end with one surface land cut out will be your best bet if you don't have a set of 3/4 wrap around wrenches.