brake shop rip off i got screwed

noslow1986

Mar 25, 2006
oswego Il
took the mustang for a brake check and i needed wheel cyclinders two of them on the rear. the guy told me 80 a piece plus bleeding and labor. they charged me 80.00 a piece a wheel cyclinder 24.95 for the bleeding and 80.00 for labor. i said screw it, its snowing i dont have a garage and i need brakes. the total bill was 280.00 dollars. they got the part from napa. i look at my recipe later and said thats alot of money to do two back brake just the cyclinders, so i went to napa they said they seen wheel cyclinder for the highest at 25.00 a piece, so i called the shop they said there warehouse is more cause there better parts. i said u got them from napa and napa remembers bringing them to u. they tried doing the switcharo on me. so i went there today and got a 65.00 refund. then he said credit or cash. i said check. be careful who u deal with, and look at the recipe always

• Sponsors (?)

Always a good idea to get a written estimate and to compare with other local shops on repairs before committing to having them done.

Make sure you advertise for that shop that screwed you over on the bill. :lol:

I have a body shop here in my town that welded my door pins instead of doing it the correct way. Then about a month later the bushings were worn out because they used the wrong ones. They did reimburse me the $65, but I then paid $300 for a good body shop to take off the fender/bumper and fix the problem they made. I love to advertise for the place that screwed me and of course the good body shop.

Honestly, if that was my shop, i would have told you that you agreed on the price, and you should have researched the prices first. Places have to make a profit on parts and labor. You agreed to the original price, so i wouldnt have given you any refund. thats just me.

to the original poster you should've checked to make sure that you weren't getting ripped before you got the work done. but you atleast went back and got a refund so give them a little credit for trying to take your money.

OK so now you know the cost on the part. What would you agree on to be a fair plrice for that shop to ask for the part??
Im asking because I work at a shop. If we purchase a wheel cylinder for $20 then we are gonna sell it for $40-$45. Someone mentioned earlier about a shop marking parts up to make a profit and we do. We dont consider that ripping people off. We consider that keeping the doors open.
Some people think thats wrong, but face it, all shops do that. If you can do the job yourself, then sure save the money and do it. Im not being a smart butt, just speaking from the other side of the counter.

OK so now you know the cost on the part. What would you agree on to be a fair plrice for that shop to ask for the part??
Im asking because I work at a shop. If we purchase a wheel cylinder for $20 then we are gonna sell it for $40-$45. Someone mentioned earlier about a shop marking parts up to make a profit and we do. We dont consider that ripping people off. We consider that keeping the doors open.
Some people think thats wrong, but face it, all shops do that. If you can do the job yourself, then sure save the money and do it. Im not being a smart butt, just speaking from the other side of the counter.

i feel the exact same way man, i work at a small independent shop in charleston and i get so friggin tired of having to justify myself to customers when i hand them the bill... i am a tech but with it being a small shop alot of times when i see a customer whose car i have worked on coming to pick it up i will go to the front to ring them up because i know alot of people like to ask if the tech ran into any problems or if there is anything else they are looking at needing to be done soon...i do this many times to be confronted by a customer who feels they are overcharged and bitches and moans to me about it...hell...the shop i work at has the cheapest labor rate in town, if you think you can find a better deal...more power to you, ill be seeing you after someone really takes you for a loop and you realize that we are just trying to keep the doors open and put food on the table...