brake system newbie here...need some help

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
alright...this is the first brake system I have had to make....not talking about calipers...but lines and master cylinders...etc...

I have a dual bowl 85 T-bird master cylinder with 7/8" bore for a planned 4 wheel manual disc brake system...front calipers are GM single piston deals that came with the mustang II kit(for now anyway) rear calipers are 84 lincoln mark vii...I am trying to hook up my brake system...so far I have only the MC and the stock '66 distribution block...I have bent and flared a line from each of the front calipers to the distribution block...distribution block has 3 ports that are 3/16" and one that I am assuming is 1/4"(smaller than 5/16" anyway) so right now 2 of 3 ports are used...one of the ports will go to the big bowl on the MC and the last 3/16" port...I'm assuming I plug it correct?(obviously its not going to be left open, just making sure I am seperating front and rear brakes into 2 seperate systems) now for the rear brakes I havent bent any line because I'm unsure...I assume I run a line from the small bowl on the MC and plug it into an adjustable proportioning valve and then run it to the rear axle and to a y-block, from the y-block to the flexible lines? thats my understanding of it...am I right in all my assumptions here? its pretty simple, but like I said, this is the first time I have done this

• Sponsors (?)

you might consider dumping the stock distribution block and go with one from a later model car with four wheel disc brakes. these are integrated blocks that have a pressure differential built in, as well as the ability to add a brake system warning switch. otherwise your assumptions are correct.

cool, thanks...so any 4-wheel disc brake system distribution block will work? power brakes wont make any difference? right now the hard lines are 3/16" which I am assuming is because of the original manual brake setup...I would imagine if you went bigger then the brakes wold become "spongy" and I'm sure later model power setups use larger lines since they have power asist...maybe...more assumptions there

that works too...and makes it easier...anyway, I got the front plumbed...still have to remove the MC for bench bleeding, then finish the rear system and bleed everything

PicturesfromKellysCameraJune1420-49.jpg

the line going up is actually just a test line(one of the originals) to make sure I could make the bend I needed without kinking the line(I can) that port will eventually run the rear system

PicturesfromKellysCameraJune1420-48.jpg

talk about close quarters...just clears the VC by 1/8" or so....we'll see if this works...the way the engine will move I believe it will