Brakes: Best Bang for the Buck...(Under $1k)

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Going to start my "not selling the stang" march with a question on upgrading brakes.

If I plan my engine budget right, I should have about $1k to spend on brakes....parts only.

What would you guyz say is the best COMPLETE kit you can get for a grand or less?

Any PN's and/or links would be helpful.

Thanks
RC

• Sponsors (?)

cobra kits are like 400-500$.

Put a baer kit on a buddies 2000gt and it was WELL worth the money...IIRC it was around 1,000-1,200$ but he got a discount from the shop as they just started selling baer brand kits.

IF you can piece together a "kit" I would get some good rotors (baer eradaspeed(sp?) and hawk or EBC pads running a cobra caliper.

A brembo kit would be REALLY nice but unless you find it used I dont think 1,000 will get those.

the baer front kits use the same PBR calipers that the cobra kit uses. as for the rears, a cobra setup is more than enough---no real need to drop big coin on that.

i had 10th anniv calipers then upgraded to the brembos and the diff is night and day. you will not be disappointed.

BTW...How are Baer systems?

RC

rears have been known to produce a pretty loud squeal. not sure if they corrected it.

I'd suggest going with the Cobra R kit over the baer kit...you can get the calipers for $625 on ebay usually. there's a pair on there right now. I'm tempted to buy them, but the suspension needs the extra $400 worse than the brakes.

i added some drilled and slotted rotors and a pbr dual piston upgrade, the calipers i used were removed from a 2000 mustang GT...read about it in the link below it cost me less about $300 and i was impressed with the results.

http://sn95brakes.com/sn95brakes.php

pbrbrakedoublepistonupgrade.jpg

pbrbrakecaliper7-7-06003.jpg

pbrbrakecaliper7-7-06002.jpg

pbrbrakeupgradepics-2.jpg

rear brakes remained factory but i added the drilled and slotted rotors...
wheelspacers001.jpg

Attachments

• pbrbrakedoublepistonupgrade.jpg
    pbrbrakedoublepistonupgrade.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 85
  • pbrbrakecaliper7-7-06003.jpg
    pbrbrakecaliper7-7-06003.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 86
  • pbrbrakecaliper7-7-06002.jpg
    pbrbrakecaliper7-7-06002.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 85
  • pbrbrakeupgradepics-2.jpg
    pbrbrakeupgradepics-2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 87
  • wheelspacers001.jpg
    wheelspacers001.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 90
The baer kit was better than the 99+ pbr stuff but more along par with the cobra stuff. The thing was the better rotors and pads with the bear kit....

lets say the bear kit worked very well in some...eh driving...were police were involved well over 100mph...we also have driven some back roads fairly quick with never a hint of fade. The caliper is the exact same as the cobra and vett though.

Brembo kit > baer/cobra kit hands down. I really didnt know they were that cheap...wow sorry about posting thinking they were.

The baer kit was better than the 99+ pbr stuff but more along par with the cobra stuff. The thing was the better rotors and pads with the bear kit....

lets say the bear kit worked very well in some...eh driving...were police were involved well over 100mph...we also have driven some back roads fairly quick with never a hint of fade. The caliper is the exact same as the cobra and vett though.

Brembo kit > baer/cobra kit hands down. I really didnt know they were that cheap...wow sorry about posting thinking they were.

i had a baer grand touring kit on order a while back. it used C5 pbr calipers-way bigger than cobra/C4/baer pbr's---and a slightly smaller rotor. it got put on backorder then they decided to quit making it. thats when i went with the brembos that ended up being about $100 cheaper. only downside to the brembos is wheel selection. you have to have a wheel that sits pretty far out to clear the caliper.

Performance Parts Inc. - www.performancepartsinc.com

For $850, I got the 04 Cobra brake kits for front and rear with stainless lines (rotors, pads, calipers, brackets, banjo bolts, lines, etc). All parts were included for a total replacement of the stock GT brakes, except master cylinder. I prefer the stock MC, so that was staying put.

The PPI kits were a great upgrade from stock. I also have more options down the road if more brake is needed. Couldn't be happier with both kits, because it fit the bill for my needs (street stang). Keeping the brake fluid replaced every 12 months makes a big difference too.

Had to mention this, because for $850 I think it was in my top three for upgrades. I wish I had done the brakes before any of my suspension work, because I know my suspension is helping the brake system big time with the massive reduction in brake dive and big increase in braking stability.

Let us know what you decide on!

brembo kit. also cobras and gt's use the same rear calipers. difference is the mounting bracket, pads and rotors. you can buy the brackets for pretty cheap IIRC then just buy the other stuff