Brakes: Best Bang for the Buck...(Under $1k)

• Sponsors (?)

13" rotors and cobra/mach/bullitt brake lines. If you buy the calipers new, they will come with brackets...if you buy them used you may not have the same luck

so which one is it? just the calipers (as blksn955.o) says, or rotors and lines (as therian says)? or is it major (as bimmertech says)?

i'm ready to jump on this!

if this is going too off topic, sorry ... i'll start a new thread. let me know, thanks

I thought the caliper design already had the needed mounting hardware/point diff. built/cast into them? The PBR calipers in my buddies baer kit that used the same caliper as a cobra/vett just bolted on...no bracket, I was under the impression they would be the same with the cobra "kit" and cobra caliper.

I also assumed you were talking about the cobra "kit" blackvert, not putting a kit together seperate.

those calipers bolt right up the NO modification is nessicary. Youll need new brake line, Rotors, and banjo bolts, but you can buy the kit that includes everything you need.

last week I finally put my cobra calipers, unbolted the old calipers bolted new ones on in 2 minutes done!

OK...NOW I am REALLY confused:

PLEASE SOMEONE clarify these CONTRASTING statements:

Originally Posted by bimmertech
PBR is the name of the company that makes the caliper. they are based out of australia and are used in alot of OE applications such as cobras/machs/bullits, c4, c6, c6 vettes, 4th gen ls1 f-bodies, gto's, etc...

and no you cannot use 99-up calipers with 13" rotors without major modification.

those calipers bolt right up the NO modification is nessicary. Youll need new brake line, Rotors, and banjo bolts, but you can buy the kit that includes everything you need.

Which is it??

RC

RC...this should clear it up for good

PBR makes all of the twin piston calipers we see...GT/Mach/Bullitt/Cobra

that said, the PBRs that you currently have (99GT+) are not the same as the Mach/Cobra/Bullitt calipers. You cannot run the 99GT+ calipers on a 13" rotor. You can run the Mach/Cobra/Bullitt calipers on a 13" rotor.

Both calipers are made by PBR, but they are not the exact same design

that said, the PBRs that you currently have (99GT+) are not the same as the Mach/Cobra/Bullitt calipers. You cannot run the 99GT+ calipers on a 13" rotor. You can run the Mach/Cobra/Bullitt calipers on a 13" rotor.

Thanks...makes sense... So if I want 13" rotors, need to change calipers too, eh? (canadian)

Cant keep the PBR's if I want to change rotors?

If I throw Brembos on the front, I guess I can leave the back brakes stock just as they are huh?

Thanks
RC

Thanks...makes sense... So if I want 13" rotors, need to change calipers too, eh? (canadian)
yes. to either bullitt/mach/cobra/brembos
Cant keep the PBR's if I want to change rotors?
correct.
If I throw Brembos on the front, I guess I can leave the back brakes stock just as they are huh?
ya but i would suggest upgrading to the cobra rear kit. its the same calipers just larger rotors, different brackets, and will "match" up nicer to the larger front rotors

Indeed the rear brakes suffer from a bit of an aesthetics problem...the cobra rear kit, or baer kit would make it look much nicer (assuming you powdercoat/spray you're old rear calipers)

That said...with the brembo front calipers, you will probably see 85%+ of your braking power from the front of the car...so upgrading rears isn't as important if you're running those big 4 piston brembos up front

100% correct.

:nice:

i too would rec the cobra rear kit. i am not a fan of the baer kit for the fact you can't get it with plain rotors. if you MUST have slotted/drilled rotors then i strongly suggest the brembo kit due to the larger pad area will offset the rotor area lost from the slots and drills.

2 more questions (this is good stuff)

1. Can I just get a Cobra Rotor for the back??? I have already painted the caliper. ... I mean, will it help to ONLY get the Cobra Rotors for the back?

2. Should I get slotted or cross drilled for the fronts and plain for the rear, or should I get plain for both (I will def. get only plain for the rear)

RC

1. Can I just get a Cobra Rotor for the back??? I have already painted the caliper. ... I mean, will it help to ONLY get the Cobra Rotors for the back?

2. Should I get slotted or cross drilled for the fronts and plain for the rear, or should I get plain for both (I will def. get only plain for the rear)

RC

1. I believe you need the bracket also. the cobra rear calipers are the same as the gt rear calipers (they are also the same calipers used with the baer kit)

2. Plain are the best from a performance standpoint. I got drilled rotors...but that was only for my own personal taste. Plain rotors generally last longer also

RC

for the rears you will need the caliper bracket kit---they are fairly cheap. another thing i have noticed is that the earlier model gt rear calipers are not identical to cobra calipers. they will fit and work, but the pad bracket is dif between the two.

i personally run plain all the way around. gas slotting be damned. i'm paying for the rotor i want my pad to contact as much as it can. also if you look at cobra or brembo pads the pad itself is slotted for degassing. plain rotors will not crack or warp as easily. so plain it is for me.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...908331+4294908282+4294924755+115&autoview=sku