Brakes; Disc conversion, Power, SS lines, questions!

boatillo

Jun 10, 2006
Well, after living with stock 4-wheel manual drums for the past 4 years I've decided something needs to be done.

First off, much of the brake system is still original; I've only replaced the master cylinder to a dual bowl, put on new pads, and spring kits. The system is currently filled with Dot 5. I do not know a whole lot about the brakes on my Mustang, and I am concerned about the safety of some parts in the system. What should I be thinking about replacing asap? Are stainless steel pre-bent lines just fluff? Are my stock ones fine unless damaged? I know I should replace the flexible lines that lead to the brakes, right?

Next, I am going to upgrade the front to discs but I must pick a set that will fit inside my 14x7 OE Magnum 500s. I think I have three that will work, any preference?
SSBC 11" kit
Willwood 11" kit
Baer 11" kit, just released and may have to wait awhile

Then there is the option to move to a power booster as well, but I have been told that there is not much difference there if you have good disc brakes on the car. Is this true? Honestly, I am not looking forward to that install - just the part where you have to remove and rehang the new pedal, ugh.

Finally, I'm kind of meh on changing the rear brakes out - probably just get a third member rather than a whole new rear end - but I would consider discs or 11" drums if they were a low cost upgrade in tandem with the front brakes. Any good kit deals?

• Sponsors (?)

I do not know a whole lot about the brakes on my Mustang, and I am concerned about the safety of some parts in the system. What should I be thinking about replacing asap?
If the system is in good condition, you should be fine for normal street driving.

Are stainless steel pre-bent lines just fluff?
Yes, kinda like chrome shock tower braces. Even the people who make brake lines don't like SS lines, they are a real PITA.

Are my stock ones fine unless damaged?
If they are not corroded on the outside or inside, they are fine. Any doubt, replace them.

I know I should replace the flexible lines that lead to the brakes, right?
Any doubt, replace them.

Next, I am going to upgrade the front to discs but I must pick a set that will fit inside my 14x7 OE Magnum 500s. I think I have three that will work, any preference?
Yes, get a duplicate of the OEM brakes. Excellent street performance, no installation or wheel size hassles. Several sources have these. The Glazier Nolan part number for OEM-style manual 67 disc brakes is G03299, Under $600. These attach directly to the spindles you already have, of course, making the job a LOT easier, and sparing you the cost of wheel alignment.

Then there is the option to move to a power booster as well, but I have been told that there is not much difference there if you have good disc brakes on the car. Is this true?
Depends on you. 65-66 disc were not available power. Worked just fine. You can power or not, regardless of year, now.

Honestly, I am not looking forward to that install - just the part where you have to remove and rehang the new pedal, ugh.
64-66 used the same pedal. Some aftermarket PB setups do for 67-70, too, but I don't like them as well, tend to be tempermental.

Finally, I'm kind of meh on changing the rear brakes out - probably just get a third member rather than a whole new rear end - but I would consider discs or 11" drums if they were a low cost upgrade in tandem with the front brakes.
Rear brake upgrade for street driving is a waste of money. The front brakes do most of the work.

Years before all these fancy high dollar kits, we would just do a swap from a 79 Granada. Get the spindels and proportioning valve from a junk yard, then buy new calipers and rotors at Auto Zone. They were safe and reliable for Ford. You can do it for a fraction of the price. I set one up 15 years ago and it still works fine. It was a daily driver for 5 years with that set up. I also put the power booster from a Granada in. I used same petal but modified the rod length and the hole in the firewall. That was a lot of work, to get it right.

Well, after living with stock 4-wheel manual drums for the past 4 years I've decided something needs to be done.

First off, much of the brake system is still original; I've only replaced the master cylinder to a dual bowl, put on new pads, and spring kits. The system is currently filled with Dot 5. I do not know a whole lot about the brakes on my Mustang, and I am concerned about the safety of some parts in the system. What should I be thinking about replacing asap? Are stainless steel pre-bent lines just fluff? Are my stock ones fine unless damaged? I know I should replace the flexible lines that lead to the brakes, right?

SSBC 11" kit
Willwood 11" kit
Baer 11" kit, just released and may have to wait awhile

Then there is the option to move to a power booster as well, but I have been told that there is not much difference there if you have good disc brakes on the car. Is this true? Honestly, I am not looking forward to that install - just the part where you have to remove and rehang the new pedal, ugh.

Finally, I'm kind of meh on changing the rear brakes out - probably just get a third member rather than a whole new rear end - but I would consider discs or 11" drums if they were a low cost upgrade in tandem with the front brakes. Any good kit deals?

The SSBC Booster/Master is a bolt in using the same pedal. Automatic only though.

The Stock K/H System is a Bolt on, giving you factory style disc brakes will 11 1/4" rotors!

As for the prebent lines---Never see a pair yet you don't have to bend manipulate to install.

Dan @ Chockostang
chockostangclassicmustang

one other suggestion, consider using the scarebird mechanical brackets. they use later model parts that are more easily available at you local auto parts store, and you can do the swap for less money put out. you still keep your stock spindles too.

rbohm, I am not familiar with the scarebird mechanical brackets. Where can you get them, and what setup does it allow you to use. Sounds like something I may try on my 65 fastback. Bartman

Google "Scarebird brakes" you'll find his website.

If you're going with bigger wheels (17") then search for MustangSteve. He makes brackets for the late model Mustang components.

The SSBC Booster/Master is a bolt in using the same pedal. Automatic only though.

The Stock K/H System is a Bolt on, giving you factory style disc brakes will 11 1/4" rotors!

As for the prebent lines---Never see a pair yet you don't have to bend manipulate to install.

Dan @ Chockostang
chockostangclassicmustang

Hey Dan I emailed you but haven't heard back yet; I am *really* interested in buying one of your front disc kits if they install while keeping the stock clearances - I don't want my wheels moving in or out. I would also like a master/booster combo that will work with no modification to my stock drum brake pedal (car is an automatic).

I am going to skip the hard brake lines, replace the flexibles, and keep running Dot 5 in the new setup?

Now I am also thinking about rebuilding the front suspension with a kit like 1967-73-Grab-A-Trak-Performance-Suspension-Rebuild-Kit.html because the stock suspension basically looks like one fused piece at this point, lol.

And performing the Shelby/UCA drop too.

will those fit inside the 14" rims? :shrug:

Our experience using 11" rotors is no, hence our 10-1/4" rotor combination.

Awh, don't tell me that! I would rather be on the safe side than putting everything on and finding out the wheel won't fit - does anyone know positively? I don't even know what my Magnum 500s are off of, but they are original 60-70's era 14x7.

I would be open to going the scarebird route, I really don't care about anything other than 1) they are disc, and 2) my wheels still fit. They just barely clear the upper control arm with everything stock, and I would like to do the UCA drop too. I don't even know, would that drop make the UCA stick out any further? Might not be able to do that.

Okay so, $145 gets me the scarebird brackets and ?? Any bolts, etc? Pick up some parts at autozone, find a master/booster that will work on the stock pedal, and proportioning valve & distribution block - I've read that people have used the stock DB and no PV when switching to front discs without any problem. Can it be done? If not, what and where should I pick those up?