brakes

98_stang_guy

Apr 17, 2003
Wisconsin
my brakes on my car are so messed up its not even funny. before my big problem started, my car shakes when i brake, so i need new rotors. now this problem goes back to about 10,000 miles ago when i replaced pads in all corners...my rear right caliper was froze shut, so i got it un-froze, got it all greased up and such, and replaced the pads...now it froze shut again and my inside pad on my rear right is down to nothing, metal on metal.

has anyone experienced this?, what is the best way to go about fixing this?, just new pads in the rear, new rotors all around and a new right rear caliper?, this seems like an aweful lot of stuff...

• Sponsors (?)

Good brakes are important. The remedy you suggest is the way I would go. I would also flush out the old brake fluid while you are replacing the caliper (unless this has been already done within the last 2 years).
To prevent frozen calipers in the future, change pads when they are worn to approximately 50% of new thickness. As the pads wear, the caliper pistions pretrude more to compensate. This exposes the micropolished steel outer surface of the piston to the elements, and it corrodes. When you replace the pads and push/wind the piston back in, the corroded part jams in the cylinder bore. There is a piston seal that is supposed to prevent this, but it is really just a dust boot and does not block moisture unless you keep the lip well greased.