Brakestand wheel hop - (Vid Soon)

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
Brakestand wheel hop - w/Video

So yesterday, i went to finish off my old tires and wanted to do a big brakestand and burnout on video. i've never really done a brakestand before, but figured there's not much to it. rev it, dump the clutch, hit the brakes and keep the rpms up??? is there a trick to this? needless to say, i got insane wheelhop, thought my car was gonna explode, so i stopped right away. there is a vid coming, just gotta get it on the net somewhere. do i just need a better suspension or do i just need to learn how its done?

• Sponsors (?)

ok well here's the vid. i'm sure some of u will get a chuckle out of it. as u can hear at the end, my gf did.:rolleyes:i'm embarrassed to even show it, but whatever. inside the car felt SOOOO bad! the vid doesn't do it justice, but look close at my hatch and window, and u can see them shaking all to s***. is it my driving or my suspension? i know 1 quad is toast, prob. gonna install my new KYB ones tonight... tell me what u think!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDqhuFTywAM

Funny, I had one broken rear spring and thought that was causing the wheel hop. Had both replaced, didn't cure the problem. When I got the car, the quads were off. I believe the whole suspension is stock. So.. I should be good with a set of quads for now? Tires are bald 255/60/15's.

hmmm. i was really expecting some comments on how crappy a driver i was, but also thinking somebody would tell me what i need to do to fix this prob.! didnt get the quads on tonight. tomorrow for sure! if anybody can give me some ideas as to how to prevent the wheel hop (technique, suspension upgrades etc) that'd be great. i plan on getting LCA's soon, but i need to build up some funds again! the new rear tires and quads almost ran me $1000, and i just got outta school, so moneys tight! canada sucks for prices!

brakestand - put your heal on the brake and your toes on the gas. Use your toes to press the gas and keep your heel hard on the brakes. This leaves your left foot for the clutch.

Get your feet ready in position, then push the clutch rev it up and dump the clutch in first. This should work for you, will take a bit to get the foot work right, once you get 3.73's it will be easier and then you can hit 2nd or third. I wouldn't try those gears until you change the gearing you'll just bog out, car doesn't have enough power witht he 2.73's.

i have a bolt on 302 with 3.73 and a stock suspension. and can do a brakestand burnout without any wheel hop. I would sugest hoding the clutch reving it up then pop the clutch and smash the brakes. Thats what i do and it works perfectly.

bionic_chronik
when you just roll in it real hard in 1st do you get wheelhop? I do.. and it sucks bad. I have no quads, thinking about getting a set until I can afford a suspension setup.

i do get wheelhop when i just peel out, but not nearly as bad as when i tried the brakestand. i just bought new tires 275/40/17's which is as wide as i can go and still run quads. i plan on keeping the quads in the future too, even with control arms. i figure they can't hurt anything.

as for the 2:73's being an issue, i don't think so. i have no problem with keeping my tires spinning into 3rd when i do a burnout. its just the brakestand thing that i'm curious about.

jako92
i have a bolt on 302 with 3.73 and a stock suspension. and can do a brakestand burnout without any wheel hop. I would sugest hoding the clutch reving it up then pop the clutch and smash the brakes. Thats what i do and it works perfectly.

thats what i did, and my car was chattering like crazy. this makes me think its just my suspension. probably just need to put on the new quads and get som LCA's....

stock suspension includes quad shocks and they do a good job of stopping wheel hop. I had to remove mine cuz my 275s were rubbing, and now i noticed theres wheelhop sometimes when i get em' spinning... doesnt bother me that much tho, probably do coil-overs in a few years and if that doesnt fix it then control arms or griggs suspension should, but thats not in the budget right now.

When you do the burnout, the car shouldn't be moving forward - get the revs up high enough, then sidestep the clutch and stand on the brake - if you still have drums on the back, the engine should have no problems overcoming them, then slowly lift off the brake until you have just enough brake pressure to hold the car still. After however long you want to do the burnout, then slowly let off the brake, and slide out of the burnout. Maybe its time for a line lock. If you have disks on the back, then I would get a line lock ASAP.

they way i do it that seems to work good.

right heel on brake and toes on gas

left foot for clutch

press the brake hard with your right heel, give it some gas and slowly let the clutch out, once it starts to grab, give it some more rpm, then the tires should start spinning, if not give it a little more clutch

be sure the apply the brake hard as the car will try to move foward, but dont really apply super hard until the tires are spinning, if you give it too much too soon it will lug it down and kill the engine

i dont like the dump method, i have a hard time getting the car to stay in one spot, it will want to move forwards. giving it more rpm will work but i tried it and gave it too much and just bounced off the rev limiter. i imagine with practice it would work fine.

Heh ... I need to use the "dump method" in a few minutes, myself. :D

If you do get new quads, DO NOT get those one-size-fits-all Monroe quads - those are actually just basically steering-damper shocks cross-referenced for size, and they aren't valved to function in the same way as quad shocks. IIRC, Autozone has Gabriel quads available for a decent price, and they're the correct part.

I'd say new quads AND a set of good LCA's would be the way to go.

foot braking on a burnout... Pfft .. You just need more Horsepower and dump the clutch and stomp on the gas, you wont move but and inch, once you get those meats hot enough, you can even just back on the gas, with a little brake at the end you can even get the tire rotating speed down real slow and still go nowhere.. pretty cool..eh, oh fun with burning rubber..