Breaking in new motor?

• Sponsors (?)

when you are breaking in a motor you need to keep away from driving at constant rpm's variate speeds. try to stick to city driving such as stop and go driving. Do not baby the motor but do not ride it to hard. You want the break in period to last about 500 miles. Also try not to go over speeds of 55 miles per hour. hope this helps

I wouldn't worry about the 55mph limit really, but I agree with the 500 miles of mixed driving. Don't be afraid to give it quick WOT runs during those 500 miles either. After 500 miles let it eat.

I honestly wouldn't be afraid to drive 50 miles then give it hell.

if you have a new aftermarket cam you will need to break it in first. rev it to about 2300 rpm's and hold it there for 30 minutes. remember to prime the oil pump before you crank it. i did this by getting 2 old oil pump rods and welded them together. then i put a drill on it and turned the oil pump like this. i had it up to 60 psi with the drill.

dastang2 said:
if you have a new aftermarket cam you will need to break it in first. rev it to about 2300 rpm's and hold it there for 30 minutes.

That is for regular hydraulic cams. Hydraulic roller cams DO NOT need to run at 2300 rpm's for 30 minutes. Just run it for 5-10 minutes, set timing, FP, etc then go for a quick drive for about 10 mins, then change oil & filter.

Scott

That's what I did with my mechanic. Finished, primed the pump, took about an hour to tune/time/check and do an oil change when all set, and then we drove it. We drove for maybe 20 mins. normal style, then we enjoyed the fruits of our labor :D . I wouldn't worry so long as you use plenty of engine assembly lube and take time tuning it.

bluelx347 said:
when you are breaking in a motor you need to keep away from driving at constant rpm's variate speeds. try to stick to city driving such as stop and go driving. Do not baby the motor but do not ride it to hard. You want the break in period to last about 500 miles. Also try not to go over speeds of 55 miles per hour. hope this helps

I agree but the 55mph part I don't see why. I would just limit the RPM's to about 4500rpm's.