Brenspeed tune problem?

danGtheTman

Oct 23, 2008
Clermont, Fl
Ok so I got a Brenspeed custom tune with a 87, 91, 93 octane tune options. I filled the tank with BP 93 octane fuel. I downloaded the 93 tune and the motor detonates pretty hard. I can hear it each time I catch a gear. I then downloaded the 91 tune and it still detonates but not as bad as the 93 setting. Finally I downloaded the 87 tune and it doesn't detonate at all. I love the off idle torque the 87 tune has. I really love the mid to upper pull the 91 tune has. The 93 seems like an all out tune when you really want to beat it hard on a back road or on the track. My question is, shouldn't I be able to run the 93 tune all the time without any detonation? I would be happy with the 91 tune as my everyday setting but that little bit of detonation bothers me. I accurately described all my mods to Brenspeed, so my tune should be spot on. Has anybody out there had the same detonation issues with a tune?

• Sponsors (?)

Ok so I got a Brenspeed custom tune with a 87, 91, 93 octane tune options. I filled the tank with BP 93 octane fuel. I downloaded the 93 tune and the motor detonates pretty hard. I can hear it each time I catch a gear. I then downloaded the 91 tune and it still detonates but not as bad as the 93 setting. Finally I downloaded the 87 tune and it doesn't detonate at all. I love the off idle torque the 87 tune has. I really love the mid to upper pull the 91 tune has. The 93 seems like an all out tune when you really want to beat it hard on a back road or on the track. My question is, shouldn't I be able to run the 93 tune all the time without any detonation? I would be happy with the 91 tune as my everyday setting but that little bit of detonation bothers me. I accurately described all my mods to Brenspeed, so my tune should be spot on. Has anybody out there had the same detonation issues with a tune?

I have the same issues with their 93 tune. I had them adjust it once but it still pings bad. I've been meaning to ask them to modify it again. I'm running the 91 tune now. In the cold weather it's ok but during the summer it also pinged. Had similar issues with the 93 Bama torque tune but not as bad. Go back to Brenspeed, they'll fix it.

Well, first of all; did you run all of the lower ocatne out first? 93 mixed with 87=90 octane. Second, if you read the owners manual, u will read that knocking is an everyday thing with these engines. Do I like it: no.

Did you send the programmer back to them or do they email you a tune? Thanks.

They will email you the tune. second, its best to run a complete tank of 93 thru before you load the tune. That way you know the octane is right. What brand of gas are you using? That will make a big diffrence, make sure you fill up at well known stations not the mom and pop ones. I've ran Brenspeeds 3 performance tunes and now the Paxton 93 tun with 0 issues. They may just need to back the timeing off a little up top to fix it.

You probably didn't run the gas down low enough. When the computer says 0 miles to empty, you still have about a gallon and a half left, so it's recommended to run it down to 0 (or past if you're brave), fill with 93, and repeat. THEN switch to the 93 tune.

Great suggestions.
But if they don't fix the problem, then the cause may be carbon build up in the combustion chambers. I had a pinging problem with BamaChip's 93 Race tune. After unsuccessfully attempting to eliminate it by trying different brands of gas and adjusting the timing and A/F ratio, I dumped a can of Seafoam in the tank, and 200 miles later the pinging was gone.

You probably didn't run the gas down low enough. When the computer says 0 miles to empty, you still have about a gallon and a half left, so it's recommended to run it down to 0 (or past if you're brave), fill with 93, and repeat. THEN switch to the 93 tune.

I agree with the above. Also, they sell oxygenated fuel in my area during winter months. I remove a degree of timing (global) in the winter.

think it'd matter if you have run nothing but 93 octane? i'm going to be buying a tuner with a loaded tune from brenspeed or bama chips and i'll run the 93 octane tune. since i've bought the car 3-4 months ago i've run nothing but 93 octane shell.

I would usually get gas for free from work but it's really low quality 87 octane. That's what I've been running in my car. When I first loaded my tune, I had half a tank of the crap gas, the other half being 93 BP fuel. I didn't realize that the two mixed still didn't equal 93. :rlaugh: So far I have filled up once with the 93 BP; still I don't think it's pure 93 in my tank yet. I rolled into the local Sunoco and put 1 gallon of 110 on top of the remaining 93 to hasten the crap gas removal. There is no detonation now of course with the 110 mix. I am currently on the 91 tune. I believe I am going to stay with this setting from now on being that 93 selling gas stations are a hit and miss around here. I love the off Idle acceleration of the 91 tune. I was going to go with lower gears, but not so sure now. The performance is so much better now, that I think the 3.55's are good enough. I'm going to save the 93 tune for when I feel like beating the car at the track. Thanks!

I agree with the running a complete tank of 93 octane through before running the 93. Here's what to do....install the 87 tune run the tank of 93 through first, then fill with 93 and install the 93 tune and see what happens. If it still pings see if you can isolate what RPM's. I had a ping bad in mid range and light up top, luckily my tuner left the tune unlocked so I took out 4 degrees of timing from 2000 - 4000 rpm and 2 degrees from 4,000 plus and the car runs great no pings and 13.0 at the track.

i love brenspeed, they have been nothing but great to me, but that is the problem with a mail order tune. since i have done mine, i got it tuned on a dyno and what a difference. if you go to a real shop it should only cost 150ish since you already have the tuner. i beleive that it is money well spent. i kept brenspeed's 87 and 91 tune, but my pro-dyno 93 tune is the best thing i bought for my car.

good luck

dan a custom tune is the only thing that will get it 100 % thats what im saving up for now. I have had many tuners tinker with a mailorder data log and repeat and cant get my spitting and stuff right.. best bang for you buck get a high torque 87 to 91 tunes then when you have the cash get a killer 87-93 dyno custom tune it is night and day man!

I read to the bottom and realize you seemed to get through your problem by running your tank near empty and cycling 93 octane into your system.

My question to everyone who suggested this...
Couldn't you have bought some octane boost?
If so, then you could have found your problem in a matter of stopping by a store to buy some, instead of driving 300 miles to refill???:shrug:

I read to the bottom and realize you seemed to get through your problem by running your tank near empty and cycling 93 octane into your system.

My question to everyone who suggested this...
Couldn't you have bought some octane boost?
If so, then you could have found your problem in a matter of stopping by a store to buy some, instead of driving 300 miles to refill???:shrug:

No, octane boost is like snake oil, it doesnt work. Its actualy not good for our cars, it eats the o ring seals up on the injectors. Better just to bite the bullet and do the fill ups.

Yeah, octane boosters are terrible for our cars. The only additive out there that doesn't harm the engine is Torco fuel additive. But it still won't boost the octane enough to help. Your best to just run the lower octane stuff out. No need to take a chance ruining something.

+1 on the :notnice: for octane boosters.
They also foul the spark plugs, which requires replacing them, and that isn't a cheap fix especially if you're not a shady tree mechanic.