Brightest headlights

• Sponsors (?)

If you're going to go with a HID setup, don't do it the half assed way, by installing a rebased xenon bulb in the factory housing. You really do need to retrofit a projector into the headlight housing, if you want to do it correctly. Otherwise, you'll be blinding oncoming cars with your low beams because the bulb will have a tremendous amount of glare, in a housing it's not designed for. There's a wealth of information on HIDPlanet.com Forums, if doing a retrofit is something that may interest you. They'll also go into more detail about why not to use a rebased bulb in the factory housing, including multiple pictures.

Don't do HIDs with anything but projectors. Any reflective housing you buy for our cars is not designed for HIDs at all and will cause excess glare. Even the projector headlights you can buy aren't meant for them, but due to the basic design of a projector beam an HID setup can be used. I bought DEPO projectors and an MTEC HID kit for my '95 and am pretty pleased with it. However, the beam cut off isn't as crisp as OEM styles, and I still get the occasional flash from someone thinking they're too bright.

I had an 8K HID kit in my ultra clear housing with crappy halogens in my ultra clear cobra fogs and it was a night and day difference. Never did get that glare you hear so much about and never blinded anyone with em. A good friend of mine just upgraded to a 20K kit in his Saturn ION Redline....now those are insane and over the top. WAY TO BRIGHT!

Here are a couple pix of mine. The second pic is shown shinin on my ex-wife's lil junk@$$ honda hatch.
picsfrom09353.jpg

picsfrom09352.jpg

I had an 8K HID kit in my ultra clear housing with crappy halogens in my ultra clear cobra fogs and it was a night and day difference. Never did get that glare you hear so much about and never blinded anyone with em. A good friend of mine just upgraded to a 20K kit in his Saturn ION Redline....now those are insane and over the top. WAY TO BRIGHT!

The higher the Kelvin the lower the output. 4300k is optimal, so that 20k your friend put in is actually less powerful than the 8k that you have.