Broke again

CKYlndSpd21

Aug 4, 2004
Okay so I just got my car running again when yesterday I started her up and noticed the battery gauge was real low so I kept driving and noticed it was getting lower and not charging back up. Then when I get home the needle is on 8 and then it dies and now it wont start back up. I have no idea what caused this. Alternator? My dad said it might be the alternator or the voltage regulator or maybe both. Could anyone help me out?

• Sponsors (?)

If you have not driven the car in a long time, it could well be the battery. Take it out and go to a battery shop and get them to test it(usually they will test them for free).

If it is not the battery, make sure the alternator has current going in and out of it. The alt. needs power going in to work, so if the power going into it is not getting there you will not charge.

Try to get a buddy to boost the car. When it's running put a volt meter on the battery and see what reads. It should be 14-14.5 volts. If it is not, the alt. needs repairs or replacement.

Both the alternator and battery need to be tested.

The alternator charges the battery when the car is runnings. So if your battery wasn't taking a charge the first place I would look is the alternator. Then the battery

Ok, well I would say start it upo and through a voltmeter on it. If your not getting around 14-14.5 volts while running I would say it's alternator related.

Oh, and check all the wirest going into the alt. It could just be something wiggled loose.

If your car was running and the battery wasn't charging, it was the alt. Take it and have it tested. Make sure you keep the battery charged while the alt. is out of the car or it will go bad and need to be replaced, if you just let it sit while its dead.

A dead cell in a battery will show low voltage on the voltmeter, even though the alt is fine. Srothfuss has the right idea - take both items in for a check. The alt is very much most likely, but there is no need to guess, esp when parts are expensive.

Good luck.