Broke of a wheel stud.

ANGRMNGT

Aug 26, 2004
NC
Today while removing one of my rear wheels I had some trouble with one of the lug nuts and after a little coersion it ended up breaking off the wheel stud. :bang: Im guessing I probably just tightened it a little to much last time i did this.

anyway, I was wondering how hard it is to replace the stud? Ive never done breaks or messed with that stuff before. I'm assuming ill need to remove the caliper and rotor to get to it. With the car having 30k miles should i just take this time to replace the brakes while i have them apart?.

thx

03 GT

• Sponsors (?)

In the few times I have done this, I have found that it vastly sped up the process by taking the wheel studs and throwing them in the freezer the night before I installed them. Those few hundred thousandths of an inch REALLY help.

It's easy. As said above, take off the wheel, then the 2 bolts on the back holding on the caliper, remove the 2 retaining clips holding the rotors on, and remove that, then get a hammer and knock the old stud back out. If you don't have an impact wrench, just head down to a tire shop and let them do it for you before you start taking things apart.. You can't hand tighten one of those wheel studs back in all the way by hand without breaking the ratchet (spoken from advice.)

The hardest part replacing those rears is screwing the brake piston back in to the caliper before you put the caliper back on. I didn't bother with the tool, just used needle-nose pliers. If you do it yourself, remember, those rear pistons SCREW in, you don't use a C-clamp on them like most brakes.

Edit: Oh, and remove the brake reservoir cap first, or you'll be fighting hydraulic pressure trying to screw that piston back in.

thanks for all the replys, I dont have an impact gun and im tempted to try and get it back in by hand. I'm a pretty big guy and if its possible i should at least give it a shot. If i had enough strength to snap the stud with a tire iron i should be able to pull a new one back in, right?

I'm guessing thats the sproket looking thing that stops the stud from sliding in smoothly. Everything went in pretty good except that. Had to massage it past that sproket (i.e. hammer and a prayer.) It didnt damage the stud and the sproket has a small (1/16th") scratch right on the end of one of the teeth. Seemed to just pop right in with a little effort nothing major. Guess I'll find out when i take it off the jack stands and go for a ride.