Broken Door Handle....

PuppyDawg

Nov 20, 2003
Boston,MA
Dag this stinks...the part of the door handle which holds the actual rod to open and close the doors from the outside broke....so i can't open my door on the passenger side. I'm assuming that i'm going to have to replace the whole door handle...i took a quick look at what i had to do....is this a hard job? How would i take the old door handle off and put the new one in it's place? any info on this would be very helpful thanks......

• Sponsors (?)

I did it last week and it's easy.
1) get two carraige bolts and matching nuts, a new handle, and a drill with a bit the size of the old rivets.
2) remove the entire interior door panel CAREFULLY
3) drill out the old rivets and remove the door handle
4) put the new handle in place
5) put the carriage bolts through the handle and door and start the nuts on the back.
6) Put the rod into the holder on the handle
7) tighten the nuts using some vice grips and a wrench
8)reassemble your door, go out, pick up a hot chick, and open the door for her with your new handle.

Feel free to PM me with any ?s. Also, the reason you get carriage bolts is because they have a round head so no one can remove them from outside the car. Make sure that the bolt size is the same as the holes in the handle. I took mine to Home Depot, matched it up, and it cost me like .60 for the nuts and bolts. Good luck.

astronut1885 said:
I did it last week and it's easy.
1) get two carraige bolts and matching nuts, a new handle, and a drill with a bit the size of the old rivets.
2) remove the entire interior door panel CAREFULLY
3) drill out the old rivets and remove the door handle
4) put the new handle in place
5) put the carriage bolts through the handle and door and start the nuts on the back.
6) Put the rod into the holder on the handle
7) tighten the nuts using some vice grips and a wrench
8)reassemble your door, go out, pick up a hot chick, and open the door for her with your new handle.

Feel free to PM me with any ?s. Also, the reason you get carriage bolts is because they have a round head so no one can remove them from outside the car. Make sure that the bolt size is the same as the holes in the handle. I took mine to Home Depot, matched it up, and it cost me like .60 for the nuts and bolts. Good luck.

Very nice. I think the mods should make a sticky or put something up in the FAQ section about common problems with the fox. Ex. door handle and that PEICE OF CRAP ASHTRAY DOOR!!!!!!!

-Drew

I just changed mine also, bought the steel replacements instead of the cheap plastic ones that were on there. Might want to used lock nuts on there :D might save you some time in the future...

Good explanation there astronut1885 :nice:

No problem. I fixed my ashtray door kinda, I simply took one from another stang I found with it at a JY and installed it. They can't be fixed easily though, better off finding a new one and being gentle. I too bought the steel handles, both sides for 30.00 shipped from Blue Oval Industries via Ebay. My mechanic could only get them 25.00 each. They got to me in a week from when I paid. I highly reccommend them. Best of luck and feel free to ask questions.