Broken Water Pump Shaft Tonight...Caused MANY Problems...

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
So tonight i pull the car out for a drive, 10min later the water pump shaft just breaks right behind the mounting plate..i wasnt putting any unusual stresses on it(the belt was slightly loose, but the only one in town that came close to fitting the new motor), when the pump shaft broke it sent the clutch fan right into the radiator tearing it open, bending a few blades on the fan, bending my water pump pulley, and breaking my fan shroud...this water pump is a reman unit from Cardone(bought at schucks) that is not more than 2 months old and has less than 200 miles on it..i think schucks should replace the water pump with a better quality unit or give me a full refund at the bare minimum. IMO they should pay for a new radiator, clutch fan, water pump, radiator shroud, and water pump pulley...this is :bs: , please give me your opinions :bang:
EDIT: the belt is still in good shape, this incident was not caused by the belt coming off
~Mark~

• Sponsors (?)

Not trying ot be an ass but you should have gotten a better quality pump. you get what you pay for. replacing a pump is too much work to skimp out on with cheap parts.

so buying cheaper parts from a "good" manufacturer means i get 300.00 in damage from a 25.00 part? it cooled my car fine, i dont need a new or high flow pump..so why spend the money? i can understand if the "cheaper" water pump blades rusted out quicker then a "better" one, but not the shaft breaking... pics are on the way
EDIT: i can change out the water pump in under 20min, the work and slow ride home is NOT my complaint

~Mark~

351swap009.jpg

351swap010.jpg

351swap011.jpg

351swap012.jpg

~Mark~

Attachments

• 351swap009.jpg
    351swap009.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 351swap010.jpg
    351swap010.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 351swap011.jpg
    351swap011.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 351swap012.jpg
    351swap012.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 138
Thats chitty man. did you get any sort of warranty with the reman water pump? I would definitely take it back to the store and see what they can do. Thats not something you hear about too often with these cars. a new radiator and shroud are definitely in order...maybe now is the time for a nicer radiator and an e-fan setup! sorry to hear about the misfortune...its always something with these damn cars! good luck!

Not trying to be a dick...but i would love to see someone change out a waterpump in 20 minutes. ;-)

yeah it had a "1 year limited warranty", i'm going back this morning to the store, i'm gonna talk to the manager(i know him pretty well) and see if they will replace the radiator too. I printed out prices for the water pump and radiator..maybe their superior can do something for me...if they're dicks about it i plan to throw the water pump on the ground, tell em i'm never coming back and leave

~Mark~

there was someone on here a while back who went though a bunch of problems with the schucks ones and was pissed off. I'd stay away from them in the future. I actually ordered a pump last night and decided if I'm doing it, it's only going to be once so I ordered an Edelbrock unit. I plan on putting down a lot of hp soon though.