Bronco II frame swap on LX hatchback?

87LX2.3

Apr 23, 2009
Central Iowa
Hey all,
I found a 1987 Bronco II that I want to do a frame swap on my LX hatchback. Has anyone else tried this before? What all would need to be done to the Mustang? I think the overall length of the Bronco looks like it would work. However, I would like to know the approx. measurements. Can anyone give me these measurements? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Overall length isn't an issue. I'm not sure of the Foxbody wheelbase, but the BII I used to have was 94" wheel-center to wheel-center.

While I'm a big fan of the Bronco II, its not the best donor for a swap. The D28 front axle is JUST big enough for stock use, and the rear is the same 7.5 used in the early Fox later non-V8 foxes. The only available engines were the 2.8 (84-85) and the 2.9 (86-90). Both are decent engines, but not overly generous in the horsepower or torque numbers.

While I agree that maybe the Bronco II isn't the best choice, I have located a donor vehicle that I'm pretty sure I can get for less than $200. The 2.9 in this truck is shot, and I'm planning on putting in a 3.0/4.0 out of a early '90s ranger/explorer. While neither of these engines are incredible in the horsepower department, they will provide enough for my needs. Thanks for the info.

In that case, have at 'er!:D

The 4.0 would be a better swap. It'll bolt up to the BII engine mounts and tranny (although if its an overdrive auto, you WILL want to ditch it. The A4LD is the worst weak-arsed POS tranny Ford EVER used). With a bit of effort and a trip or two to the wrecking yards, the D28 can be replaced with the D35 out of a Ranger or Explorer, and the 7.5 may not be as tough as an 8.8, but it'll hold up pretty well.

And of course a 5.0 is a very well documented swap in the Ranger/BII anyway

Take a look through the forums at broncoii.org as well. Lot of good info that should help ya get familiar with them. (yeah, I'm a member over there...)

:nice: