Bronco Questions

Hey guys okay still looking around for a DD and very interested in Broncos........What are the best years? I'm assuming the 5.8L is better then having the 5.0L. Are the last years the best. Do they make for a decent daily driver? My main need for it would be the winter months/rainy days. Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Great trucks, they are all the same 87-96 other than the nose and interiors being different. The 351 is def more powerful than the 302 though none get decent fuel mileage. Great DD as long as you dont mind paying for gas.

My wife's DD is a 96 Bronco. Things to look for include:
A bad rear window seal causing leaking into the tail gate resulting in bad rust.
Damage to the tail gate from idiot previous owners slamming the spare tire too hard.
Make sure the power rear window works properly. It's a bitch to work on.
Suspension bushings go bad after 100,000+ miles.

If you buy a 302, everything looks real familiar under the hood. We've had hers for about 5 years and 30,000 miles. The only real problem we've had was the water pump and t-stat. Outside of that, great truck.

The best years would be any year up to '95 because '96's were OBD-2 emissions.
Anything before that you can modify more, atleast here in NY.

The bad rust spots are the rear 1/4's around the wheels and by the doors and rear bumpers and the bottom of the tailgate.
I almost never see a Bronco without a rusted out tailgate around here.

My grandfather had a '90 and had the tailgate fixed twice and it was rotted again when he got rid of it in '00.

It was quite a pig on gas and it had the 5.0.

i've got a 96. i've had it for a few years now. i've had no real problems. no rust or bad areas. everything works fine. and for a 4x4 i'd say it's a comfy ride. the only thing like everyone else said is gas milelage. i get about 14 round town up to 17 on the highway. overall i'd say a great truck. very dependable.

btw it's for sale in the classifides......:D

The best years would be any year up to '95 because '96's were OBD-2 emissions.
Anything before that you can modify more, atleast here in NY.

OBD II means nothing. A 96 is just as, if not more, easy to modify as any other. The big plus for the 96 is that it's the only year with mass air.

OBD II means nothing. A 96 is just as, if not more, easy to modify as any other. The big plus for the 96 is that it's the only year with mass air.

Well here in NY we have emissions testing on '96+ and no emissions testing on '95 or older so you cant really do motor swaps or alot of performance stuff that affects emissions readings like you can on the older ones.

i am a member on fullsizebronco.com and its the best bronco site on the net. Like they said watch for rust and stuff like that, but if you do buy a bronco get a 351 and not a 302 as the smaller is a real pig in the truck. A big thing to look for is not an eddie bauer because most of the stuff in there is operated by buttons. You want a stick shift transfer case and manual hubs if at all possible as the automatic stuff will break down easier if not meticilously maintained

i am a member on fullsizebronco.com and its the best bronco site on the net. Like they said watch for rust and stuff like that, but if you do buy a bronco get a 351 and not a 302 as the smaller is a real pig in the truck. A big thing to look for is not an eddie bauer because most of the stuff in there is operated by buttons. You want a stick shift transfer case and manual hubs if at all possible as the automatic stuff will break down easier if not meticilously maintained

good points...buttons suck...the only buttons i want in my vehicles are power windows (esp in a fullsize truck...hate reaching across to roll window up or down) and the CD player. I converted my 96 Ranger to manual hubs, but i do dislike the 4x4 knob, i'd much rather have a manual shift t-case...my mom had a 94 explorer some years back with the button t-case and the button took a poop in a snowstorm when she really could have used 4wd to get up the last hill before our house...