Bubbles in radiator fluid: as certain sign of blown head gasket?

stock50LX

Curmudgeon
Founding Member
Oct 2, 2001
University Place, WA
After three months, I reassembled my 351 car, now with ported heads. I have been plagued by cooling system problems for the last two days: water spewing all over the engine, leaks in hoses, running too warm. I have conquered the leaks one by one, and the car now runs warm, but not hot. However, there are bubbles in the radiator. A knowledgeable friend told me that such bubbles do not necessarily equate to a blown head gasket, but I have always assumed otherwise. I just made a test drive of 20 minutes duraton and the car lost no coolant. Opinions appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

A pin hole in a hose can cause air bubbles.

If you refilled your radiator at anytime during this period of cooling problem, it might just be the coolant letting air out that was trapped inside. Do a compression check if you really want to know.

compression test told me that i had a headgasket leak, that and a hydrocarbons test i did on my radiator. hum, lost over 300+ total compression psi... dunno the exact number, but it was a lot.. funny thing is, car still ran like a champ...

The hydrocarbon test sounds interesting. Can any shop do it or is the equipment expensive?

Jadefalcon: there is no mixture of fluids. The car seems to be running incredibly rich though. I cannot tell much from the smell as I have little basis for comparison. It is smoking more than usual though.