Build opinions

88stang88

5 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
St. Louis,MO
I am getting ready to pick up a set of Trick flow TW heads and Trick flow intake. Need some opinions on a Correct way to set up the car so I don't have have any mismatched items. I have a stock AODE and a stock rear end. I want to rebuild the rear-end and put some gears in it however remain very streetable. I would say 90/10 street/strip.

Need opinions on converters,gears,upgrades to transmission.

Please feel free to list what you would do,this is opinion based and I will pick and choose what I like most.

• Sponsors (?)

yup 4:10 or 3:90, I had 3:55 and didn't like it. i have no experience on AODE and torque converters so i have no idea,

as far as rear end, I use auburn diff and i like it. get some better axles if yours are worn and change the bearings while you at it. I have 4:10 as well. It's better to do the whole thing at once as far as rear end. saves you $.

Chris I completely forgot you run a AOD on your car...you should have all types of answer's for what works.

Yes, you should ask someone who has AOD like chris and see what he has done to his.

But just like mystery said there are bunch of people running 4:10 on AOD and are happy with it. It also depends on how much power you are making :)

well, i don't know that much, but here is what my own experiences have taught me ... :shrug:

i'm much more about drivability than all out performance. i don't go to the track and want to be able to just hop in it anytime and go anywhere.

i currently have an AOD with standard gearing (2.40/1.47/1.00/.667) and 3.27 rear end gears. 70 mph on the highway is 2000 rpm in 4th. while that is good for cruising, here is the problem: 2250 rpm is 80, and 2500 rpm is 90. and the motor is powerful enough that it wants to (and will!) go from 2000 to 2250 very easily, so i have to be very careful with the throttle or i will see red and blue lights behind me.

also, off the line, it bogs a little and i would like it to accelerate faster, so i am now thinking that 3.27 gears is too low for my setup.

with 3.73 gears, 70 would be about 2300 rpm and 80 would be closer to 2600.

with 4.10s, i'm looking at 2500 for 70 and closer to 2900 for 80.

for me, i'd rather be turning 2300 at my cruising speed of 70 than 2500. again, for me, drivability is a whole lot more important than making the absolute fastest car possible.

Don't know much about the transmission, but a 2200-2800 lock converter sounds about right. Don't cheap out on the tranny. You can put in a 400hp engine, and it's still going to run 15.2 with a mismatched transmissoin.

4.10s will make the car run well at the track. Some people love them, and some people don't like the way they make the car behave on the street. That's kind of a personal preference thing.

I would put 28 spline forged shafts in the axle while you have it apart. That will ensure you don't have to worry about snapping an axle at the track. I'm not a fan of most of the aftermarket differentials. I haven't known anyone who ran an Auburn in years. Mostly because the average life of an Auburn seems to be about 3 passes before it fails splendidly. The Eaton seems to be a good unit, but it's a lot of money. I assume you are running TW 170cc heads, which is going to get you down to about a 1.7/1.6 short time. You can do that no problem with a well rebuild stock locker.

Kurt

Don't know much about the transmission, but a 2200-2800 lock converter sounds about right. Don't cheap out on the tranny. You can put in a 400hp engine, and it's still going to run 15.2 with a mismatched transmissoin.

4.10s will make the car run well at the track. Some people love them, and some people don't like the way they make the car behave on the street. That's kind of a personal preference thing.

I would put 28 spline forged shafts in the axle while you have it apart. That will ensure you don't have to worry about snapping an axle at the track. I'm not a fan of most of the aftermarket differentials. I haven't known anyone who ran an Auburn in years. Mostly because the average life of an Auburn seems to be about 3 passes before it fails splendidly. The Eaton seems to be a good unit, but it's a lot of money. I assume you are running TW 170cc heads, which is going to get you down to about a 1.7/1.6 short time. You can do that no problem with a well rebuild stock locker.

Kurt

175cc TW heads. Like I said I don't have any experience with rear ends or the transmission so I'd like to go with 3.73's and prob do a rebuild with a shift kit and a 2800 lock stall.

I haven't known anyone who ran an Auburn in years. Mostly because the average life of an Auburn seems to be about 3 passes before it fails splendidly.
Kurt

I wanna cry now Kurt, I have had Auburn diff for years, and i also have it on my other car, granted, I don't launch the car or have horsepower to break it i don't think... Urgh~

Why is auburn bad?

I wanna cry now Kurt, I have had Auburn diff for years, and i also have it on my other car, granted, I don't launch the car or have horsepower to break it i don't think... Urgh~

Why is auburn bad?

No idea why it's bad. I know everyone just stop using them a long time ago because they don't hold up to hard launches.

Kurt