building a 12 second race car from a 97 v6 auto

hungryford

Nov 9, 2006
well here I go into a project. My sons and I got hooked on Drag racing this summer and decided that instead of pounding our stangs every week that we would build a car for racing thats street legal. We found a 97 v6 auto thats clean.
Now we're trying to figure out wether to go with a modular 32v or a 302/351 push rod. We like the old school features of the pre95's but cannot discard the newer benifits of the 32v's. We are going to change the motor,trans, and rear end and suspension anyway so that's why we thought a v6 car would allow for an affordable start. We're not going to tubb the car or anything radical. Looking for suggestions and old writeups on such a project.:Track:

• Sponsors (?)

Your right. We know what the new ones do.. We have them. We want to start the v6 project for something to do this winter. My projections for the car were conservative when I mentioned 12's but what I was looking for was feedback on wether to go with the modular or old school engines. We only have a couple of thousand in the car and are our goal is to either buy a cobra or lightning motor or a built pushrod, suspension upgrades and have some fun for about 5 thousand. We have lots of time and want to buy most of the mods used so thats why I said 12's to keep the cost down to get the car on he road and phase in future mods to get to the 10's. No tubbing, pump gas, street legal and will drive it about 50 miles to the track. Trailor queen some day but not right now.
Looking for someone with a story on the car they built. We're not looking to race Bob Glidden just have some fun on a budget with a car that ,if it breaks, it's not going to require me to get a rental to get to work or a bank loan to fix it. Thanks in advance for your comments.