Building an audiophile system.

LaserSVT

Got FB banned again for saying nards
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
So I spend way too much time in my daily driver, apx 21 hours a week :(
So I decided that is too much time to listen to a lousy factory system. I figured with the sale of my wheels and income tax refunds I can afford to do a cheap system in the car. I am an audiophile so it was gonna be tough considering $750 was gonna be my limit for everything including wires, sub, amp, front speakers, deck and sub box. I figured on Kenwood or Pioneer for the speakers and MTX for the amp as they are cheap and fairly decient stuff.

Well I ended up pushing the budget another $50 cause I found some deals that were really good. With this setup it will prolly be the best sounding system I have built for myself :nice:
I wanted an accurate repoduction of my music with good mid-bass repoduction and a good low end kick. So here is what I am getting for some killer prices :nice:

Boston Acoustics Z6 6.5" components:
View attachment 277607
The Z's are all about sound- and Boston has done a superb job in making a system that will image better than just about anything out there. First, we must all realize that an automobile's interior is hardly the optimal place for good acoustics- The Z system lists at a WHOPPING GRAND per set. At this price, chances are you can not only afford electronics which compliment such a high quality setup, but will probably demand them. THe Zs are not cheap- in fact they exceed just about anything else I can think of, including the Focal systems- focal are my second favorite brand next to upper-level Boston - In my opinion, these are the only speakers that are reminiscent of the wonderful Cantons, will I miss ALOT.
OVerall sound is smooth and accurate. Let me make one thing VERY clear- the output of the Z2 is undisputably LESS than the pros. The Z2 are aimed at purists looking for the clearest and most accurate sound characteristics- NOT bass heads. Even for non-bass-heads who want to listen to rock and pop at higher volumes, you may be dissapointed with the lower and flatter (TRUER) output of the Zs- and may VERY much want to stick with the pros, which are also HALF the price! Don't mistake this is simple efficiency either- it is just an inherent trait of the Zs with their construction- their quality is much flatter and more accurate- Many people may find that on identical power, the Zs sound more uninteresting, while the pros are punchier and more lively. At the same time, the pros can't reproduce tones as accurately- it all comes down to your prerogative in your system and your goals- If you listen to jazz, funk or ANY genre for that matter, but want accuracy as opposed to volume or simple bass output, the Zs are the ticket.

The low frequency duties will be handled by Boston as well. The 10" G5 was the sub of choice :nice:
View attachment 277609
i went into the store with the intention of buying 1 JL 12w7. i'm a SQ guy, and have always heard great things about JL audio. So i get to the store, and listen to one. its pretty good, but i was a little disapointed. so then the sales guy asked what i thought about 2 w6's. i said i'd listen to them and they sounded better then the w7, but i'd need 2 in order to get the volume i wanted. so then i asked to hear the Boston g5. i was amazed. it sounded better then the w6's by far. the bass was more accurate, and very crisp. it sounded just like it was suppose to. the cool part was the w6's were in a custom made box for them. the Boston was thrown into a box that was too big for it, and it still sounded great. so i bought 2, at $400 each. yeah thats a lot of money, but 1 w7 is $900. so i really saved money, on IMO a better product.

in the car it is no differnt. got them into the right box, and they just pound. anther sweet thing about this woofer is that if you get the DVC subs, you dont have to mess around with wiring. there are only 2 terminals instead of 4. all you have to do is remove the fuses, and put one in, instead of 2. thats it. and the fuses protect the woofers from power serges. Boston has the only line on the planet that does that. the last cool thing is if you do blow it, which you have to be a real idiot to do so, the voice coil is really easy to take out. you dont have to take them in for repair.

And the amp will be from Rockford Fosgate. Its the Power series T400-4 and is a very clean and powerful amp :nice:
View attachment 277611

Should have 120 wrms for the seperates and another 400 wrms for the sub. :banana:

The deck is a generic deck that appears to be made by Panasonic.
Its a DVD/GPS deck with an eq and SD card reader. 7" touch screen and should be fine. My buddy has the same deck in his Toyota and its really nice and sounds great :nice:

So what do you all think? Decient setup for under $800?

• Sponsors (?)

What are the ratings on the pre outs on the subs? I had a panasonic in my high end rockford Power series set up and hated it. Went with a top of the long Sony (don't laugh, it was way better) and it had true 4v pre outs, the clarity was a ton better. Had infinity componets and power series amps.

Every u picked looks great but u may splurge a bit more on the head unit. (depending on exact one)

What are the ratings on the pre outs on the subs? I had a panasonic in my high end rockford Power series set up and hated it. Went with a top of the long Sony (don't laugh, it was way better) and it had true 4v pre outs, the clarity was a ton better. Had infinity componets and power series amps.

Every u picked looks great but u may splurge a bit more on the head unit. (depending on exact one)
This is the deck I am going with: http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Car-DVD-Playe...ryZ79834QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would love another Pioneer but thats out of the budget. I really wanted a touch screen and GPS Nav system built in. As I said, a friend ordered this deck and it seems to be a nice unit :shrug:

Damn surf control at work... :D I can't see it. I'll peak at it tonight. Not that my opinion matters. :D Overall it sounds like a decent set up and ur headed in the right direction. :D

Is it a dvd player with a flip out screen? If so I assume ur going to hook it up urself to get "full" advantage of the screen?

Damn surf control at work... :D I can't see it. I'll peak at it tonight. Not that my opinion matters. :D Overall it sounds like a decent set up and ur headed in the right direction. :D

Is it a dvd player with a flip out screen? If so I assume ur going to hook it up urself to get "full" advantage of the screen?
Its a double din deck. I wanted it to look factory..... actually I should go out and check to make sure there isnt a brace in the way on the Mark. The factory opening is 4" high so it should fit with only some bracket mods. :shrug:
And I will be doing the full install and plan on wireing it so the DVD screen can run all the time :nice:
this is for the Mark VIII right?

Yep, the Cobra has a Pioneer AVICD3 in it :nice:
Stock speakers though :( I dont really want a system in the Cobra anyway as the engine has a beautiful singing voice :banana:

I know ferds are a din and a half. Is the lincoln a full 2 din? (they look close but sometimes won't fit.
Fords are not really DIN and a half eaither. I have installed many double din stereos in Explorers, F series, Focus and Stangs. The face opening is 4" and thats the more important part as its hard to modify and still look stock. The bracketry depends on what cross brace and ducting system the car has.

Here is the deck in there. The opening is large enough and there are not any brackets in the way so should drop in pretty easy. I may have to trim some of the tan plastic hut nothing major :shrug:
1-6.jpg

2-4.jpg

Attachments

• 1-6.jpg
    1-6.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 106
+1 on the triming. How do u plan on securing it? It will be very "top" heavy with the screen flipped out.

EDIT: I guess my question is: Is the plastic around strong enough to hold it after u trim? Hard to tell by the pic and I have never been in the dash of a mark VIII

The plastic is very strong and thick with a metal backing plate (Lincoln build overkill) and I only need to trim 1/16" off the top piece to make it fit. I will also make a bracked that bolts to the rear of the deck and attaches to the stock stereo rear bracket. It will be more solid then stock :nice:
Also its not a flip out deck, its double din :shrug:

The factory openings are 6x8. Components front and rear. I will leave the stock rears and rewire them. They will only be for surround sound and powered off the new deck. I dont want to ruin my soundstage and in a SQ system I dont even run rear speakers but since the deck can play DVDs I will run rears too :nice:
I was gonna get a 6x8 to 6.5" adapter ring to mount the round speakers. But alas I missed out on the speakers as they sold for double what I thought I could get them for. I still have the sub though :nice:
Right now I am debating about running Infinity Kappa 6x8 components or MB Quart Premium series 6x8 components. I was dissapointed by my last set of MB Quarts so I am hesitent. The new series has larger tweeters and new x-overs so mabey they sound better :shrug:

I want Bostons though so I am searching for another set. If I can get some SL60s or Pro 6.5s then I will :nice:

I was thinking it was a flip out.... Can't see the link. But since its a full in dash double din... then you shouldn't have to worry about the screen causing ballance/weight issues on bumps and stuff.

You won't be dissapointed with Infinity kapa's. They are fully sealed and water proof so if they are in ur doors they won't risk damage. (if the seals are bad on ur windows and some water gets down there. I had them in my last stereo system and it was so clear. Try to swing for the componets if u can.

Well its eaither Infinity Kappa 690.9cs (6x8 components)
Boston Acoustics SL60 (6.5 components)
MB Quart PVI (6x8 components)

I had the SL60s in my red GT and loved them. I "upgraded" to the MB Quart premiums and liked the Bostons better. Now the MB has a new tweeter and may sound better, IDK.
The Infinitys have never steered me wrong but I havent heard the newer series :shrug:
IDK, I will prolly get the Infinitys cause they drop right in, handle alot of power and are the cheapest. And I have never heard an Infinity that didnt sound good :shrug:

i know you may laugh, but i used a set of 6.5" alpine type-r components in my last ride ( i still have them but i want to upgrade my amp before installing them into my cobra) and they sounded great...i am a snob when it comes to car audio and these impressed me far more than i expected (i installed a JL 300/4 with Diamond Audion S600S HEX speakers in my girls Grand Cherokee Limited) excellent and smooth highs and deep mids. and they come with the 6x8 to 6.5 adapter plate

Alpine SPR-17S (spr17s) 6-1/2" Component Systems Car Speakers Car Audio and Video - Sonic Electronix

edit: dont get a 6x8 component speaker...i dont think oval speakers sound as good as round speakers...less distortion.

While I was searching for the Alpins I ran across a set of Eclipse 3-way components. I have heard these before and the sound was awesom! :drool: I can modify the factory teeter opening to house the mid and tweeter. I am debating about it right now. The auction ends in four hours and they are at $105 right now + $22 for shipping. These are $680 components though. Crap, I wouldnt of bought the tires this morning had I of seen these first :(