built aod or 5speed

93RedGT

Apr 6, 2005
indy
my car is a 93 gt auto going to get a 331 stroker should i put a performance aod or do a 5 speed swap it is daily driven and will stay that way. more scca track racing than drags. which one would be better and which one would be cheaper, thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Personally I prefer a built AOD over a 5-speed. But I am more of a cruiser and ocassional drag strip person.

If you're road racing I say go with the stick. A built AOD with a manual VB would work for that application too. But the 5 speed, is more suitable for road racing IMO.

Oh, and BTW you may have started the old 5-speeds are 10x better deabte, agian..:nonono: :D

Another vote for the AOD. My built AOD+3k stall can pin you into the seat yet still cruise at less than 2500 rpms and get 20+ mpg on the highway.

What more could you ask for? And I can do all this 1 handed. That way, I can pound caffeinne with the other or turn up my techno even in the middle of hard manuvering.

Manual trans is mainly a preference question now, some people like to row.

I bought most of the stuff for a 5 Speed Swap. Then drove a friends 5speed S-10 a few days while he had a broken foot so in would not set so long. I Then promtly resold all of my 5speed swap parts:D . I agree with Pete it is all about preference. For daily driving I will always choose an Auto. For the kind of racing you are talking about a 5-speed my be the better choic though. Main thing is choose what YOU want not what everyone tells you is better.

I wonder how long it will take this thread to turn ugly??

crazypete said:
Another vote for the AOD. My built AOD+3k stall can pin you into the seat yet still cruise at less than 2500 rpms and get 20+ mpg on the highway.

What more could you ask for? And I can do all this 1 handed. That way, I can pound caffeinne with the other or turn up my techno even in the middle of hard manuvering.

Manual trans is mainly a preference question now, some people like to row.
nothing against the AOD....but the techno :nonono:

CAMAROEATER01 said:
The techno turned this thread ugly

Well it's a lot better than bling-rap or teeny commercial manufactured pop, hippie music or commercial pseudo-punk . I'm urban so country doesnt work that well(cant get into it even though the subject material is usually a+). I guess that leaves metal (rammstein!) and techno/electronica.

Hey, if you dont like the music and you have an AOD then you can use the free hand to eject the cd and rummage through your glovebox while driving instead of trying to keep 2 hands and 2 feet on the car controls and somehow operating the stereo controls as well.

AOD+1!

crazypete said:
Well it's a lot better than bling-rap or teeny commercial manufactured pop, hippie music or commercial pseudo-punk . I'm urban so country doesnt work that well(cant get into it even though the subject material is usually a+). I guess that leaves metal (rammstein!) and techno/electronica.

Hey, if you dont like the music and you have an AOD then you can use the free hand to eject the cd and rummage through your glovebox while driving instead of trying to keep 2 hands and 2 feet on the car controls and somehow operating the stereo controls as well.

AOD+1!
true...im more of a rock guy myself...more specifically shinedown:hail2:

Oldies, 80's, and Classic Rock for me!!!!!! I can see crazypete now, driving down the street with his techno blaring and his glow stick in his right hand because it is not rowing, completely raving out. :D Just messing with you man.

But seriously I don't enjoy a car near as much unless I am rowing through the gears. 5-speed gets my vote.

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
Oldies, 80's, and Classic Rock for me!!!!!! I can see crazypete now, driving down the street with his techno blaring and his glow stick in his right hand because it is not rowing, completely raving out. :D Just messing with you man.

But seriously I don't enjoy a car near as much unless I am rowing through the gears. 5-speed gets my vote.
i enjoy classic rock too!

69Rcode_Mach1 said:
I can see crazypete now, driving down the street with his techno blaring and his glow stick in his right hand because it is not rowing, completely raving out.

I'm too busy dangling my arm out the window, looking all cool and suave, to play with a glowstick.

AOD+1 HAHAHAHAHAHAaaaa!!1``1`oneonetilde

By the way.....here's why I switched from t-5->aod. I lost 3 t5's and I dont even drive hard, maybe occassionally, the DMV with my step 24 points owns my ass. I lost 3 t-5 due to bad synchro's, broken input shaft, broken shift fork, had 2 clutches go out, one actually breaking apart so that I pulled a shard from my bellhousing dust cover.

An aod just doesnt break under normal conditions. Usually outlasts the car. You can get a good 150k out of an aod before the clutch packs wear out. Just keep the tv adjusted with a little extra for crisp shifts and dont engage OD a WOT and it will be the last transmission related endevour you will ever need to do. Just remember, the converter MAKES or BREAKS the performance of an AOD. Stock=1500? = teh lose. 3k stall on a stock AOD = teh burnout. Add a $75 shift kit and you are in business.

That is one of the reasons I decided not to swap. There are two local guys that I know with foxes , both are T5 cars. Both of them have been through atleast two T5's a piece! In the 4 years I have had my GT the AOD has given me zero grief. I did add an extra cooler to it because of the heat here in the summer.

I got mine built in my basement :D

It's pretty easy to take an AOD apart and a core can be had for $150 or so. Its just stacking stuff up.

Add ~500 bucks worth of shift kits, kevlar bands, hardened lockup shaft, a+ servo and a high stall converter and you are ready to rock.

scca track and high stall auto... not for me.
there is no way to match rev's on a down shift, so the auto is going to want to swap ends entering a corner.
if you opt to not down shift, then when trying to apply power thru the turn or on exit, you'll be dealing with the convertor, and be in the wrong gear... shift the auto mid corner or on exit and you'll upset the balance and effect handeling... wait until you've exited the corner to apply power, and, well, you've wasted precious time.
in short, and auto is not going to be the fast way around a scca track.
Personally, I don't like high stall vehicles in daily driving.

I have had no issues outta my stock T5.
Having said that, you don't go 12's with a stock motor'd car by worry'n about the tranny... and mine shifts like new.
I have no idea how people blow up T5's and say they were not beating on them... possibly they don't know the difference between shifting quick and clean, vs beating the hell outta something.

No way, I speed matched my t-5's during shifts (reduces wear on synchros), no burnouts, no clutch slipping, practically no gear grinding, very little downshifting and still lost them. After a while they just wouldnt shift. That t-5 cannot handle a torquey motor like the 302.

The high stall on the street thing.....my 3000 stall and my factory (1500?) feel exactly the same when just driving around (well, not exactly the same :D but you know what I mean). Only difference is the 3K doesnt strangle the motor when I am trying to do performance driving.

I think backwards on the manuvering issue. See, for me, shifting while trying to cut corners was always a major distraction. I want to focus full time on how the body is rolling, position relative to the corner, gas pedal location, braking or lack thereof. If I had to work a clutch and stick at the same time, it really distracts me. Besides, all you need is to tighten the TV cable and the auto will stay in gear much longer and provide some of the advantages of manual for being able to keep a car in the powerband.

But for cruising around, I wouldnt trade my automatic for anything. One arm out the window. Nice and relaxed, not worrying about what gear the car is in and when I need to shift.