Bullitt brake install questions

stangGT97

Dec 22, 2004
Boston area, MA
I received my Bullitt brake kit yesterday, just had a few questions about the installation.
1. The brake pads came installed in the calipers - should I take them out and apply brake quite to the backs or are they fine as is?
2. Since the caliper is new, do the slide pins need to be greased?
3. Any good guides out there to help me along the way? I'm still confused about how to install the new lines and bleed air from the system.

Thanks all! :)

• Sponsors (?)

1. no
2. no
3. dont let the master run dry if you have ABS. buy speed bleeders for the front and rears, flush all the fluid in the braking system. keep everything clean, take your time. i just walked someone through installing cobra fronts and rears over the phone last weekend, and he had never done or diff work before.

Thank you for the quick reply! So I should purge front and rear lines at the same time, once I have finished the installation? Also, I will have a person helping me out - can I have him tap the brakes while I pour new brake fluid into the reservoir? IIRC that is what I did when my friend asked me to help him bleed his brakes, but it was a long time ago. Thanks :)

The fronts are a simple on/off procedure. bdcardinal answered your questions. If you use some needle nose vicegrips and put some rubber hose on the tips, you can use that to pinch off the brake line. You will lose alot less fluid that way, and will make it a little easier to bleed.

it's a pretty straight-forward install, one tip though: don't over torque the banjo bolt, i snapped the one i got with my lines and i'm still trying to find another.

as far as bleeding goes, it would be much easier with the speed bleeders or one-man bleeder tool but if you're doing it without:

attach a clear hose to the bleeder screw. have a friend apply pressure to the brake pedal then open the bleeder screw. close the screw when fluid flow slows and have your friend release the pedal *make sure he doesn't release the pedal until you close the screw*. repeat the process until there are no more bubbles in the hose.

you will probably have to bleed the m/c too so don't freak out if the pedal isn't firm after you finish the calipers

as far as bleeding goes, it would be much easier with the speed bleeders or one-man bleeder tool but if you're doing it without:

attach a clear hose to the bleeder screw. have a friend apply pressure to the brake pedal then open the bleeder screw. close the screw when fluid flow slows and have your friend release the pedal *make sure he doesn't release the pedal until you close the screw*. repeat the process until there are no more bubbles in the hose.

you will probably have to bleed the m/c too so don't freak out if the pedal isn't firm after you finish the calipers

You can do it alone. I've bled my brakes alone on every car I own..no speed bleeders either. I do it yearly, and have not had a problem.

All i do is attach a hose, put it into the bottle, crack a bleeder and then get inside the car and pump the pedal. I get out and make sure i don't run the MC dry. Between each stroke, the MC draw fluid from the path of least resistance...which is the reseviour. So you don't need to close the bleeder between each stroke. The fluid doesn't draw back into the caliper. When i'm satisfied, i get out and close the bleeder.

I've done this to my '03 GT abour 4 times, my fox recently when i installed cobra brakes all around and on my G35 twice. It's quick as hell to just crack the bleeder, and pump away. Takes longer to take the wheels off. I bleed the brakes on my cars yearly as part of my maintainence routine...that's why the frequent bleeds

its not a bad idea to do all four corners especially if the brakes have never been bled before. like i said before i bleed yearly and always notice better pedal feel. however when i did my brake upgrade i only did the fronts. make sure you bleed the master cylinder too. the rear screw is the front brakes.
Posted via Mobile Device