Bullitt suspension..worth it for a nice drop?

The nice thing about the Bullitt suspension (Cosmetically) is that the car doesn't look like it is on stilts. But as previously mentioned, it does not really look "lowered" unless you are parked next to a stock GT. I, personally, would like to lower my car a little more. The price is good, but if you think that you want lower than 3/4"-1" then go to a different aftermarket system.

• Sponsors (?)

On my '98 GT, the Bullitt's lowered it approx. 1" in front and 3/4" in the rear, but I've seen less of a drop documented on 99+ stangs. I also agree with ChadS98GT that the front could have been lowered another 1/2" and maybe the rear another 1/4". Put another way, the car's stance is now what appears to look like it's at a normal height - doesn't look "lowered", but no longer looks like it can follow a 4x4 in to the woods with all the ground clearance it once had. IMO, good system for the money, but for a little more, I would get Steeda's springs and Tokico premiums (or adjustables if you can afford) for the right look/ride.

The bullitt suspension will only drop about 3/4". If you go with h&r or pro kit you will get a 1.5" drop and still have no problems. I have pro kit and mach 1 tokicos with 18" wheels and the parts cost was under $400.00 for the springs and shocks. No c/c plates were needed, front end alignment was fine and no tire rubbing, the car looks and rides great. I didn't want a slammed look and the 1.5" drop was the perfect drop for me. Here's what my car looks like with that combo...
http://members.cardomain.com/kennym01

Here are a few pics of my ride with the Bullitt set-up:

Spring03Stang5.jpg

TheBrakes2.jpg

TheBrakes4.jpg

The bottom two pics were taken just before Thanksgiving, and the 1st one was taken in early Spring.

Attachments

• Spring03Stang5.jpg
    Spring03Stang5.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 91
  • TheBrakes2.jpg
    TheBrakes2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 99
  • TheBrakes4.jpg
    TheBrakes4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 106
NasaGT said:
One question for you lopony - When you had the C-springs did you also swap out the shocks/struts for something else? I've heard several people complain that the C springs were too harsh, and then they went with a Bullitt setup and were happy. The thing that I find strange is that the Bullitt springs are 600 lb/in in the front and 250 lbs/in in the rear, and the C-springs are 650 front and 200-300 rear (progressive). Compared to the stock rates of 450 and 210, the C springs are only a touch firmer than the Bullitts.

Thats why I'm guessing you used stock struts/shocks with the C springs which gave you a harsh ride??? The stock struts/shocks aren't a good match but the Tokico HPs seem to be. (the Bullitt struts/shocks are essentially Tokico HPs)

edit - I ask this because I think Santa is bringing C springs. :banana:

NasaGT.....I originally was running the stock struts and shocks but i swapped them for the tokico hp struts and shocks....it made the car ride a little bit better but the bullitt springs to me ride 10 times better, it doesnt beat you to death on long trips.

stangit yor car looks like the bullitt system droped your car pretty well.

anyway im going with the bullitt setup myself, i think?

but i have some weight reduction and i guess that will not let whatever springs i pick to drop exactly what they should?

for stock weighted car i would definatly choose bullitt springs after what everyone said in this post :nice:

lopony said:
NasaGT.....I originally was running the stock struts and shocks but i swapped them for the tokico hp struts and shocks....it made the car ride a little bit better but the bullitt springs to me ride 10 times better, it doesnt beat you to death on long trips.

Ahh, Thanks for the info!!!

ADRENLN said:
stangit yor car looks like the bullitt system droped your car pretty well.

~1" drop all around. I have used this set-up since Oct. '02. Like others have mentioned, the drop is more substantial on pre-'99 cars. I would like an extra .5" in the front; however, you can definitely tell it is lowered when you pull up beside a stock GT. IMO, the ride is much stiffer than stock (I have a few interior rattles, now), but I have been in only 1 other lowered stang (it was equipped with progressive rate springs).