Bullitt vs Corvette

• Sponsors (?)

Gearbanger 101 said:
How do you figure? :scratch:

Actually that's not that out of the ordinary. When I quoted my stang....a brand new vette was right about the same price. Guess since all quotes are based on the data of claims, etc.....although a vette claim would be high, there probably isn't a high probability of a claim.

I don't get the Insurance thing. Esp. since last year I was UNQUOTABLE on a vette.
But regardless, IMO the vette is a much better car, odds are it'll hold it's value better, will respond to mods more readily, and heck like they say " for the thrill of your life wrap your a$$ in glass"

Of course though there is the one "The one with the most toys wins" in which case get a bike, cause the bike will walk either the bullit or the vette if you can ride it. Heck lastnight I saw an 03 cobra get 10 carlengths and the break against a 600cc gsxr and the bike was around him before he made it 60 ft out.

BooWFO said:
I don't get the Insurance thing. Esp. since last year I was UNQUOTABLE on a vette.
But regardless, IMO the vette is a much better car, odds are it'll hold it's value better, will respond to mods more readily, and heck like they say " for the thrill of your life wrap your a$$ in glass"

Of course though there is the one "The one with the most toys wins" in which case get a bike, cause the bike will walk either the bullit or the vette if you can ride it. Heck lastnight I saw an 03 cobra get 10 carlengths and the break against a 600cc gsxr and the bike was around him before he made it 60 ft out.

I'm a total bike n00b so it would be something like a Ninja 250, 500, or SV650.

-J

I think my insurance went down about $40 bucks a year when I sold my 98 Cobra and bought an 02 Z06. Thats the beauty of having ownership thats mainly old, fat, bald, no street racing, and in bed by 9:00pm on Saturday nights...now contrast that with the same demographics for a mustang owner. Younger, street racer, hanging out in places after dark, riskier judgement. All adds up to more claims on average (tickets, stolen vehicles, damaged vehicles, etc..)

Now if you're a 2% in the vette world, you get the best of both worlds. :D

Get your self a skyline.

No but in all seriousness a C5 is a wonderful auto. Not only does it have a LS1 it has a better LS1 then the SS/WS6 and is lighter. The handling is amazing. I had a 90 vette with the L98 that had 245 hp and is was an awsome car. I learned RWD on vettes and its tricky because they have alot of weight in the rear and they tend to snap when they lose traction and then snap back the otherway. The mustang is not an easy car to drive but is more predictable then a vette. Most late model vettes pulls a .90+ G on the skidpad so....

Plus vettes are very safe cars unless you challenge a tractor-trailor.

JBVobra said:
I think my insurance went down about $40 bucks a year when I sold my 98 Cobra and bought an 02 Z06. Thats the beauty of having ownership thats mainly old, fat, bald, no street racing, and in bed by 9:00pm on Saturday nights...now contrast that with the same demographics for a mustang owner. Younger, street racer, hanging out in places after dark, riskier judgement. All adds up to more claims on average (tickets, stolen vehicles, damaged vehicles, etc..)

Now if you're a 2% in the vette world, you get the best of both worlds. :D

Let's just say that I would definitely fall into that 2% demographic :D

I think I've been blessed with good judgement. I'm younger than the average vette owner but old/mature enough not to do anything stupid. Bill aren't fun and neither is high insurance.

I've been thinking it over some more and I think I'll wait a few monthes before making a final decision. Right now I'm 90% settled on getting a C5 but I want to move into another apartment complex (with a garage) first.

-J

j_dub said:
in case it has not been pointed out...the vette gets 'em wet.

yea and then their take all the money from your wallet and you still go home without getting laid and then they screw a mustang owner but hey you are going home with a nice sports car!

eh, vettes seem to have some serious traction problems when you add power.

A friend of mine has a full bolton/cam C5 (looks EXACTLY like the Z06..side scoops and all)...its a 2000 coupe (3150#s)....and makes 400RWHP. Well I just ran him earlier today.

Stop= I put 3 cars on him by 45-50MPH
55MPH roll= He couldnt gain on me at all until we shut down @ 100MPH.

Basically the car wouldnt hook up at all...even in 3rd haha
So power is useless if you cant use it :) .

Dont buy for power alone...I say kep the bullitt S/C it and do some suspension work. :nice:

tell your bud to try the nitto 555R. I had the 295/35s on the stock 18" z06 rim and they hooked awesome on the street. I had a h/c, 3.90 geared car making 455 sae

108_0828.jpg

but they were extremely scary in the rain when they got about 8K miles on 'em :eek:

Ill let em know...sounds like if he gets heads, and those tires, ill have a good run on my hands (after the turbos ofcourse). 455RWHP is alot....but glad to hear that its not impossable to hook.

thanks for the info :nice:

Maybe I didn't mention it before but I wouldn't be buying the Vette for sheer power alone. I know it's just as easy to supercharge the Bullitt to get similiar power (if not more) but I also want the car to HANDLE well without having to completely rework the suspension.

No matter how good the aftermarket company may be, no aftermarket suspension is going to retain the stock parts level of dependability and "refinement" (can't think of a better term)

Let's say I keep the Bullitt and dump ~1.5k into the suspension and another 4k into a "safe" supercharger + tune. What happens when/if I want to resale the car?

Parting out is an option but wouldn't I still wind up losing more money in the long run by going this route?

Then again, maybe it's just my lack of sleep talking...

-J