Bump Steer, 5 Lug

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
I received my 90 Fox with the five lug swap already done. But, the person I got the car from did not do the swap. So he didn't really know what was used to complete the 5 lug swap either.

So, I have a manual rack that will be installed as soon as possible. But I'm gathering everything to go with it. But I'm unsure of what tie rod ends to use since I'm not sure what spindles I have on the car. But really I would like to just get a bump steer kit that uses rod ends. Again, I'm unsure what will and will not work....

Basically, how can i visually tell what parts were used to complete my 5 lug swap? Also, does it even matter what was used? Are the bump steer kits universal or whatever parts may or may not be used?

• Sponsors (?)

Take a look at the steering arms

507992299.jpg

Thanks for the pic! I'll look at that today on lunch.

With the difference in position of the steering arm mount, this could be causing my bumper steer problem.

Is there a reference picture with the stock Fox one to compare?

You really need to have a fine-tuned sense of chassis balance and car control to sense an actual bumpsteer problem, and you'll feel it most as you enter and navigate hard corners. Most often, what people think is "bumpsteer" is really "tramlining" which is when the car wants to follow ruts in the road and gets tugged all over the place. These cars are prone to it in the first place but it's made worse by wider tires, tires that are worn into conical shape, loose tie rod ends, and aggressive camber settings.

Reactions: 1 users
You really need to have a fine-tuned sense of chassis balance and car control to sense an actual bumpsteer problem, and you'll feel it most as you enter and navigate hard corners. Most often, what people think is "bumpsteer" is really "tramlining" which is when the car wants to follow ruts in the road and gets tugged all over the place. These cars are prone to it in the first place but it's made worse by wider tires, tires that are worn into conical shape, loose tie rod ends, and aggressive camber settings.
Thanks for the clarification. That was exactly my problem initially. I had just always referred to it as "bumpsteer". Always nice to learn :nice: