bumper cut-outs? anyone have pics????

88stangmangt

Nov 25, 2003
Stafford,VA
has anyone cut there gt bumper to fit lx tips? is it hard? do you have pics? does anyone have a site that has instructions? want to do it soon exhaust shop quoted me 150 or so i got a flame kit i want to put on and some flow 1-chambers.(the only thing i want the shop to do is the muffler wel in's)

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

The only way I've seen it done and it looked DECENT, was there were just notches on the bottom of the ground effects and the pipes tucked up in them. Kind of like the new GT's. Every car I've seen with the tips sticking through a complete circle just didn't look right to me. Just my opinion.

Why don't you people give it a damn rest with the "eww your cutting the bumper" *****, the guy asked how to do it, and all he got was one person who advised him to use a saw.

Stock GT bumpers are ugly as hell IMO, and tons of other people think the same way, why not cut holes in it? It has no resale value, not around here anyways.

This topic is getting as bad as the "4 eyed pride" crap, just give it up.

I haven't done it, but I've seen some, and I think they used a hole saw to cut it, but I do know not to get it too hot, or it will warp. If you wanted half moons, maybe a dremel would work, that might be too fast and get too hot? :shrug:

Mavrick said:
why not cut holes in it?

Because it's freaking gay that's why, let's just go cut holes in all our body panels and stick ugly pipes through and out of it. Heck my hood is plain, i think i'm gonna turn my headers upside down and stick them through the hood and look like a funny car :shrug:

if you are going to cut it, lay masking tape on the area that you'll cut, it'll stop the paint from chipping. if you want to just cut semi-circles, i would probably use a dremel or rotozip and only cut a little at a time.
as soon as you are done, and the bumper has cooled, make sure you hit the edge with some clear coat or sealant so the paint doesn't chip. also make sure you have a little gap between the pipe and the bumper so it doesn't melt.

I wouldn't use a hole saw, I can pretty much guarantee the paint will chip. I would use something that spins kind of slow, like a Dremel on slow speed and the finest and thinest cut off wheel you can get. And as mentioned above use masking tape and actually cut the masking tape when you cut the plastic. Also use 3M tape, or at least a really good painters tape, trust me this makes a big difference. Even doing all of the above, you still may get some chipped paint though, its really a risky job to do on painted plastic. Hope this helps.

I did it, and I used a Dremel. It takes a while, but if you are patient, it comes out good. I grabbed some 3" slant cut rolled edge stainless tips from Summit and welded them on, and I love it. click on the link in my sig for more pictures. Here ya go:

EDIT: LX tips will not fit, as they sit higher than the GT pipes. I simply cut off the turn downs on the GT pipes and put the tips on. I thing: measure a whole lot before you do it, because once it's done it's done.

Mavrick said:
Why don't you people give it a damn rest with the "eww your cutting the bumper" *****, the guy asked how to do it, and all he got was one person who advised him to use a saw.

Stock GT bumpers are ugly as hell IMO, and tons of other people think the same way, why not cut holes in it? It has no resale value, not around here anyways.

This topic is getting as bad as the "4 eyed pride" crap, just give it up.
Dude, you're a fool. People have opinions and when you ask a question you WILL get opinions whether asked for or not. Deal with it! Heck, IMO, baby blue lx's are ugly as hell and tons of other people think the same way. What's the deal with the 4 eyed pride statement? If your referring to the fact that some people get upset when the front end is ripped off and the "aero" front end is stuck on what's wrong with that? There are alot less of these cars than there are of the 87 thru 93 left. I have yet to see a conversion that looks good. Usually the car looks like it was hit, with the yellow headlights misaligned and the mismatched moldings. Just go buy one that was made by the factory instead of creating something that will end up worthless. :bang: