Bumpsteer & Balljoint install: DONE

steveb24

Nov 28, 2005
wilmington, DE
let me start by saying that the entire install took 10 hours, doing things carefully and for the first time. part of that was trying to figure out how stuff works without directions (because i still havent realized that if you follow directions things make more sense), like using the ball joint press (very simple) and the grease gun I had to buy (i didnt realize that grease goes through that tiny nipple thing). in the end it all worked out.

few questions/comments..

I have ALL spacers above the tie rod. This bring my tie rods closest to parrallel with the control arm. According to the instuctions this should be right because i used the X-2's, and put in H&R SS springs during the install. How about your spacers? esp those of you with SS springs and X-2's.

I got pissed because the bumpsteer kit got scraped up from turning it to tighten/loosen the jam nut. Then i got smart and wrapped the wrench with electrical tape. :bang: oh well

On to alignment.. my alignment is wayyy off now, car turns to right but the steering wheel is slanted left, what im wondering is... When i take it for alignment, will the people know what the bumpsteer kit is, and should i tell them to not mess with the spacers? thanks guys, sry for length, but it was a lengthy install.

• Sponsors (?)

On to alignment.. my alignment is wayyy off now, car turns to right but the steering wheel is slanted left, what im wondering is... When i take it for alignment, will the people know what the bumpsteer kit is, and should i tell them to not mess with the spacers? thanks guys, sry for length, but it was a lengthy install.

I have run into the same dilemna as you. I need to get mine aligned, but I am unsure if I will need to have a performance shop do it or just a tire shop.

I only used the largest spacer on top of the tie rod. I don't have the drop that you will have, and I don't have the X2 balljoints.

A good shop should know. ***Bell Tire and Discount Tire ARE NOT GOOD SHOPS***

They are just plain old mechanics that bounce around from shop to shop. Their workers are nothing like their commercials on TV.

I would find a shop that works and builds hot rods. I have a local alignment/hotrod shop that I take my cars to. Same group of guys since I have been driving, and even my Dad knew them when I was a little kid. They know everything about everything. That is what you should find, somebody truthful, and trustworthy.

well ive been asking around a few shops and basically the guys are telling me since I'm not getting "bumpsteer" measured, becasue you CAN figure out your setting in other ways, like I said up top, any alignment shop will do. All they are doing is adjusting toe, caster, and camber, not bumpsteer, so thats what they do anwyays. I have an appt wed and ill tell everyone my results. please continute to give advice anyone.. idk about you guys who have the bumpsteer and not x-2 ball joints but steeda was pretty clear with me that most people with the x-2's have almost all their spacers, if not all, above the tie rod end.

Well good luck getting a good shop...I hate leaving my car with people I don't know, which I don't do..but I know how it feels. I don't think they can really measure bumpsteer. As long as you eyeball it you should be fine. If the arms are parelle with the LCA's you made a huge improvement already.