Burnt Coil Wire Wtf

pearlnotchback

5 Year Member
Dec 18, 2011
Tennessee
I went out and cranked up my car today because i havent driven it in around a week and I heard that crackling sound under the hood so I looked and there it was. A nice little lightning bolt going between the boot and the wire. Ive had plug wires get burned up by headers but never seen a coil wire burn in half at the distributor. Has anyone else seen this before?
photo.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I went out and cranked up my car today because i havent driven it in around a week and I heard that crackling sound under the hood so I looked and there it was. A nice little lightning bolt going between the boot and the wire. Ive had plug wires get burned up by headers but never seen a coil wire burn in half at the distributor. Has anyone else seen this before?
photo.JPG
YUP a dozen times. Not all on 5.0's but any time there is a high resistance and a powerful spark, it makes heat, jumps a little and keeps burning more. Hotter coils, cheaper wires, along with hard to fire air fuel ratios all add to the equation. Your coil wire also fires 7x more than any other wire.

Once it starts sparking to ground due to moisture dirt or whatever, the carbon track caused by the heat of the spark will continue until it burns the wire. Inspect the cap and wires for evidence of arcing, and replace if necessary.