BURNT!! dash wiring help?

2muchtime

Founding Member
Jan 30, 2002
MA.
I was behind the dash the other day and noticed a burnt wire (melted)
its been there a while and was still powered with the key on only.
it is a 12-14guage yellow with a black stripe or dotted black.
can anyone tell me what this is??
it comes from behind the fuse block in a harness,up to the top of the dash
and was broken right about where the speaker mounting is in the center of the dash..i have no evidence from there where it might go.

i have been having a problem with my directionals malfunctioning and can
only assume the problem stems there

question # 2 why didnt i blow a fuse, knowing i have all the right amperage fuses in there places..

please help :scratch:

• Sponsors (?)

My wiring chart shows the yellow/black (hash) wire going to the radio receiver. If the radio fuse didn't blow than the wire just didn't ground out on any metal section yet.

For your turn signals you can check the small ground wires on each side of the radiator mounting brackets to see if they're connected and tightened properly or broken. Also check all the bulb sockets and wiring. I don't know if it will help but it's a start.

LedZ 5.0 said:
For your turn signals you can check the small ground wires on each side of the radiator mounting brackets to see if they're connected and tightened properly or broken. Also check all the bulb sockets and wiring. I don't know if it will help but it's a start.

That's good to know, I never would have thought of that-(the wire bye the radiator that is) I just started chasing that nasty little Gremlin myself too.
on a side note I really need to move that stinking fuse box, It's real fun fitting between the seat and steering wheel with a 56 inch chest :rolleyes:

LedZ 5.0 said:

well i feel much better about the wire :D i
i ended up replacing all 4 ground ends 2 in front 2 in rear and replaced a few bulb sockets and nothing changed.. i plan to get into it this weekend
so anymore advise would be great..
my main concern was that wire, which has now eased my mind (a little)
unless it tried to melt the other wires :(

2muchtime said:
well i feel much better about the wire :D i
i ended up replacing all 4 ground ends 2 in front 2 in rear and replaced a few bulb sockets and nothing changed.. i plan to get into it this weekend
so anymore advise would be great..
my main concern was that wire, which has now eased my mind (a little)
unless it tried to melt the other wires :(

Electrical troubleshooting is simple if you keep in mind that all electrical circuits are basically electricity running from the battery, through the wires, switches, relays, fuses and fusible links to each electrical component and to ground, from which it is passed back to the battery. Any electrical problem is an interruption in the flow of electricity to and from the battery.

Replace your turn signal flasher and fuse. Check the wiring connector and wires on your turn signal/washer switch or replace with another switch that's known to work properly. If you drop your fuse box you can check all the wiring connections behind the fuses. If you still don't find the problem than you must have a loose or open connection somewhere in the signal wiring system.

My 78 front turn signals would flash like a police cruiser or ambulance but the rear signals worked good. I dropped the fuse box, replaced the flasher, fuse, rear tail light wiring harness, turn signal/washer switch and the front bulb sockets. Replaced the front ground connectors too and finally got it all up to speed. Now my interior courtesy lights under the dash won't shut down once I close the door. I think the timer took a whiz. That's my next electrical job.
I'm not an electrical whiz but it goes smoother once everything is taken apart.

Good luck