Buy now, or wait?

Hello, everyone.

I am the very unproud owner of a 1994 B4C Camaro, which I've thrown nearly 40k into, including the price of the car. It's one thing after another with this pile of crap, and while I'd love to sell it or push it off a cliff, it has a lot of sentimental value, so I guess I'm just happier staring at it.

I've had it up to my eyeballs with this car, and it is no longer an enjoyment, but an annoyance. It's time to push it into the back of a barn and "replace" it.

I've belonged to a Camaro club for nearly a year, and I have been yet to show up to either a cruise-in, meet, or whatever else in my Camaro. I've become the guy with the Camaro that says, "Here's a picture of my Camaro." :notnice: To say the least, I'm not renewing my membership to the Camaro club. Why would I? I don't have one that runs, and if it does, it breaks down between every 500 miles.

Ready for the latest? I got the car out of the shop maybe 5 days ago. 2 days ago I drove it, and everything was great. I go out to drive the car yesterday and the coolant light is lit up in my face, and the engine is stumbling like mad. :shrug: Yeah, that pile of crap even breaks when it ISN'T being driven, and it isn't the first time...

And so I took out a 2010 Mustang GT yesterday. I fell in love with that car. That car right there is a prime example of why they didn't need a bail-out. The quality was light years ahead of that of the 2009 Camaros. I know, because I've driven one..typical GM JUNK.

So I've started researching the GT, and I know what I want, but the 315 hp isn't going to do it for me...sorry, folks. I've decided on that deep grey metallic color with a black stripe, plus the 3.73 gearing. I've also decided that due to the amount of power my Camaro is putting out (when it runs...), I'm going to need at least 400 hp to be happy. I've looked into the Roush supercharger setup that is available for the Mustang, and it is rated at 435 hp (on 5 lbs of boost) and is covered under a warranty. This sounds really tasty to me.

Now that I've decided what I want, which is basically a 400+ hp car with air conditioning that works, a reasonable curb weight, and a manual transmission, comes the question of how reliable the 4.6L is going to be with this supercharger mounted on top of it. And then there's the, "Should I wait for the 5.0L next year?"

I'm sure the "When's the 5.0L coming out" topic has been beaten to Hell, and I'm not interested in discussing it, but would it be wiser to go with a platform that is tried and true (4.6L) or take my chances with a totally new motor?

While part of me tells me to wait for the 5.0L, my logic tells me to go for the 4.6L with the supercharger because the 4.6L has been around and is tried and true, while the 5.0L might have some teething issues.

I'm really confused here as to what to do, but I do know that I NEED a powerful RWD American Muscle Car in order to be happy. I just want one that I can get in and drive WITHOUT having to do any modifications, and love it. I have a 2005 Subaru WRX STi, and while it's "snappy-fast," it just doesn't kick me in the ass like an American Muscle Car does.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 2005 Subaru WRX STi, and while it's "snappy-fast," it just doesn't kick me in the ass like an American Muscle Car does.

very well said. even though i am not a fan of the 4.6 motor (well ive never driven the 3v so i dont know about it, but i do love the 4v, 2v not so much) i would say you might be better off going with the safe choice of the 4.6 now. and the price (not sure if an issue or not) would probably be more reasonable now than the 5.0s on top of the whole "working out the kinks" process that we all know that every car goes through when it is debuted. just my .02

You will have about 20 responses from people that have no idea the nature of the 5.0 engine saying to wait. Remember, it might not even be out next year.

I chose not to wait. The new engine does appeal to me all that much. If I want more power, I will get it with bolt ons or a SC.

YOu can order your gt with a dealer installed Supercharger (whipple) and it retains the ford warranty. ONly downside is, it is not intercooled and rated at about 400hp. There is an upgrade kit available that is intercooled and makes more PSI, but it voids the Ford warranty. The other downside is, the dealer has to install it....big $$$.

Since we dont go to the track and dont need any bragging rights, we are sticking with simple bolt ons....CAI (once one comes out), tune, underdrive pulleys, exhaust, probably a throttle body, who knows what else. That SHOULD put us in the 350 FWhp range :)

It sounds like you are planning to spend at least $40,000 with a base GT then mods. You should consider a brand new 2009 GT500 for around $40,000 or a very low mileage 2009 for $37,000 to $39,000.

Do not buy a 2007 or 2008 unless it has had the TSB complied with and both the clutch and flywheel replaced. If you buy a 2009 be sure and check the build date on the sticker inside the door frame, look for 09/08 or later.

The GT500s are so cheap right now they are a lot of car for the money.

Good Luck with your decision,

Steve

It sounds like you are planning to spend at least $40,000 with a base GT then mods. You should consider a brand new 2009 GT500 for around $40,000 or a very low mileage 2009 for $37,000 to $39,000.

Do not buy a 2007 or 2008 unless it has had the TSB complied with and both the clutch and flywheel replaced. If you buy a 2009 be sure and check the build date on the sticker inside the door frame, look for 09/08 or later.

Steve

Actually, Steve, I don't plan on doing any mods. I've been chasing that route with my POS Camaro, and I'm just done with modding, period. All I really want is 400 hp, an a/c unit that works, and a reasonable weight. I just want to climb into something that has a warranty, is powerful, and reliable. The only bolt-on I would consider in the future would probably be an exhaust, and maybe a set of nice wheels.

Steve

2010 Gt500s are very high 40s/low 50s....some are more. Hell, even a well optioned gt can run $38k+

^^^^^Sheesh......... I respect your opinion and good luck with your new purchase...BUT GM junk !!! Are you serious....anyway this is your thread and im not going to hijack it, good luck in your search :)

Junk may be a good term for the design of the Brembo brakes and the added 50 weights, but overall the car seems ok. The Camaro will get better with time, just as the 5.0 will get better after its been around a while.

Junk may be a good term for the design of the Brembo brakes and the added 50 weights, but overall the car seems ok. The Camaro will get better with time, just as the 5.0 will get better after its been around a while.

The only way that Camaro is possibly going to get any better is if it loses about 500 lbs and GM re-thinks what they consider a "quality" interior.

As far as I'm concerned, the Camaro died in 2002 and still hasn't been brought back.

This new Camaro is nothing more than some 60 year old man's wet dream from 1969 when he couldn't afford a Camaro.

^^^^^Sheesh......... I respect your opinion and good luck with your new purchase...BUT GM junk !!! Are you serious....anyway this is your thread and im not going to hijack it, good luck in your search :)

Ok, maybe calling it "junk" was a little harsh, but it's still too heavy for me to ever consider, plus I didn't find the interior to be any nicer than what it was in a 2002 F-Body.

I don't know who GM thinks they're kidding by calling the new Camaro a performance car. How can a performance car weigh 3900 lbs? It's more of a Main Street cruiser than anything else.

The essence of Camaro has been lost. The Camaro was a cheap alternative to a Vette, and it was always on the Vette's heals in terms of straight-line performance. Hell, for what they were, they didn't handle half badly, either. Now, what we have, is a car that weighs 700 more pounds than a Vette, and won't even come within a second of touching it in the 1/4 mile.

But anyway, I'm not interested in really talking about the Camaro. ;)

I know I'll never buy a chevrolet again!!! as far as I am concerned GM owes me money. enough said there.
Gotta have a dependable ride so if you wait for the 5.0 have you got a dd (subaru?). The prices are rocketing so can you afford to wait too.