Buy or Build? Which is wiser?

zookeeper

Founding Member
Aug 25, 2001
Rogue River, Oregon
I don't post here much any more, but I drop in periodically to see what's up, and some stuff has happened lately that I thought I'd share. About two months back, a freind of mine bought a car. He bought a really nice 1969 Chevelle, 396 SS with a Muncie 4 spd and a 496 cu in BB in place of the original 396. The car is black, mostly stock with a few mods and very, very nice. It has Budnick wheels, 3" exhaust with Flowmasters, aftermarket guages and some small stuff here and there. It's a nice car and he bought it from a dealer in Texas who offered it on ebay. Although not cheap, it was reasonable for what it is for $27,000. Sound like a lot of money for a car? Why didn't he build one? Here's a little more to the story: about 15 years ago he thought he wanted a street rod, because all his car buddies had one. He bought a decent project car, a 1946 Chevy with a small block already in it. The car was in primer, no interior, but it ran and it was a starting point. He paid $7,000 for it. He wanted to swap in a big block, add independant front end, get it painted and upholstered. How long could that possibly take, and how much could it possibly cost? More than you could ever imagine. First off, he disassembled the car, then started buying stuff, a big block, lots of billet, some wheels, etc. Since he really didn't have much of a garage to work ona project car, he rented a one-car garage for $80 a month. Then he started doing the bodywork. Mistakes were made, redone, made again. Frustration set in. The wife became upset at all the money begin spent and work was put on hold. More parts were bought on the sly, rent fees piled up, several false starts took place. So many parts were bought with no rhyme or reason that he could no longer work on the car without first unloading the whole garage. Finally, it became too much and the whole project was pretty much abandoned. Time passed, the rent was paid and so it went. The car sat a total of 9 years in that rented garage. For those keeping track at home, that's nearly $9,000 in storage fees. Add that to the $7,000 he paid for the car and you get $16,000. Although I never asked what the total for parts and tools was, I think a conservative estimate would be in the $6,000 range, bringing the total to $22,000, give or take. What did he have at the end of it all? A car that might (if he's very, very lucky) be worth $5,000 with every part he ever bought for it included. That's a $17,000 loss, not to mention ten years of his life that he could have been enjoying the car, ANY car! All that brings me to my real point, if you don't start with a reasonable plan and by reasonable I mean brutally realistic about your money and your talents, you are setting yourself up for financial and emotional disaster. There's no shame whatsoever in buying a nice finished car and quite often you will be money ahead.

• Sponsors (?)

Excellent post! This is exactly why I will be buying a finished car and making it my own by adding and taking here and there. I do not have the skills or patience required for any type of body or paint work.

Its a hobby. I enjoy the busted knuckles and singed hairs about the same as I do driving the car. If I had the money to burn, I would still be buying beat down projects and spending my spare time taking them apart and trying to put them back together.

Although I do agree that it sucks when its cruise season and your car is in different areas of your garage.

I suppose the answer would depend on how you view the car, and if you are comfortable getting dirty and taking things apart. Along with the downtime and frustration of something not going right.

Besides, if all my cars were complete and had nothing left to do. My wife would go bonkers with me having free time on my hands and no outlet. :D

I bought my 66 for $700 last november and it is a $700 car. I just took out the motor and trans (I6) which were donated to a friends 4x4 bronco project. now..... I am looking at doing the interior gettting some surface rust off and painting it with a truck liner type material. For what I paid for it I'll let it sit in the garage. I also dont plan on buying a ton of billet parts for it. I wont buy anything unless I am ready to install them which will help keep the clutter down. the only major decision I need to make with it is if I am going to repair or replace the tail light panel. (slight rear ender). but other than that I am just going to take it easy with it and let it come together. Now I am no major restorer and this wont be a show car by any means but it will come together little by little. When the money goes the $700 car can sit there until $$$ returns. Wife doesnt care as it is sitting in my garage and when it is down it will be hers anyways.

I do agree that if you have the chance to buy one then do it. Either way it is the same outcome as someone needs to enjoy these cars before they are hauled off to the crushing.

i agree with your post. i've seen lots of cars purchased and started with good intentions, but life can get in the way.

i've made it a point to not let myself buy any other project or old car just so i wouldn't lose my focus and have my project turn into a storage table in the garage.

with that said, i probably have fewer life distractions than many.

i also assume that, in general this hobby costs more money than i'll ever get back. however, i take great pride in my work and i get quite a few emotional highs by small tasks that are completed on a weekly basis. (i.e. doing the metal work to replace a small patch of rust, replacing a quarter panel, seeing the car with a fitted trunk lid, etc.).

personally i couldn't get that sense of accomplishment by just buying a car finished (is there such a thing?) or by farming out basic work.

I agree with you guys in that there is no greater feeling than doing it yourself. I mean, I suffered through 6 years of being broke and sleepless to get my car done my way. But I knew going in that I had to do everything myself in order to afford it. Paint, bodywork, repair, assembly, interior, all of it. But there is no greater satisfaction than to win an award with something that is truly your car.
Money was my biggest obstacle, but my freinds problem was time, talent and space. He obviously has enough money, but poor planning scuttled his dream very early. He kept hoarding parts for "someday", but all that did was throw good money after bad. I truly feel that for him, buying a finished car is the best thing and he'd have been way ahead of the game had he done it ten years ago.

on a plus side. Buying someones half finished project will save you a ton of money.

I have also stopped buying projects. I have told myself that I need to finish the ones I have first. I basically have a stray dog syndrome. Where I see a beat down project, and I feel compelled to bring it home. Except my (very tolerant) wife usually does not approve.

zookeeper-
cars like yours is the reason why many of us are still in this little tug a war with projects. I also wont (cant because wife wont let me) buy another project. I watched a friend of mine buy 3-4 projects only to have to move and leave behind 2 for pretty much free.

i agree with your post. i've seen lots of cars purchased and started with good intentions, but life can get in the way.

yep. i sold my '70 firebird formula 455 clone because we had a toddler, a new baby, and a new house. i kept my '73 vette. two projects were two projects too many. i'm a driver not a collision repair or restored kind of guy.

now i just have my cheapo mustang that is fun to drive and cost nothing per month. i am pacing myself to not spend more on it than i could sell it for. it's a guilt free hobby with less money invested that my yearly mortgage payment.

I have built several from very cheap starter cars and I have bought a few that were complete. Now I want to enjoy the tinkering on a complete car vs the build. I like driving them more now also. I miss the building some times but when I get that feeling, I just go for a drive past some local projects that have been around for a while. One should do what is realistic for your time and budget. Much more fun for all involved. Good post.

zookeeper-
cars like yours is the reason why many of us are still in this little tug a war with projects. I also wont (cant because wife wont let me) buy another project. I watched a friend of mine buy 3-4 projects only to have to move and leave behind 2 for pretty much free.

I hear ya. Know what's sad? A freind of my brother is an automotive hoarder. He's a Mopar fan and used to live in a rural area. His hometown was at the far end of 40 miles of one-lane road and had lots of little "towns" and "used-to-be-towns" along the way. He used to spot a Mopar in front of a house(any mopar at all) and stop, knock on the door and ask about the car. They almost never ran and the owners were usually happy to get rid of the thing for free. Now, all in all, he likely owns 15 or so non-running Mopars ranging from station wagons with a 440 to Belvederes to Coronets to most of a '71 Challenger. I offered what I felt was a very fair amount of money for the Challenger a few years back and you'd have thought I was offereing to buy one of his kids! He was shocked I even asked! Wanna hear the very worst part? He also has a '70 AAR 'Cuda that was left to him by his Dad. His Dad never drove the car in the 25 years he owned it, and now my brother's buddy never drives it in the 10 years he's owned it. It's complete, unrestored and likely has around 10,000 miles or less on it. I'm confident it'll never see the light of day again. The owner is always dead broke, waaay in debt yet refuses to part with ANYTHING. If it were me, I'd unload EVERYTHING except the AAR 'Cuda, pay some bills and drive the thing. Life's too short to not drive your dream car.

I have done one full restoration on a 66 Mustang years ago and will never do another. Everything ever said about it taking 3 times as long and costing at least twice as much as you think it will is absolutley true. I spent 3 years looking for my 65 K code coupe and cannot remember how many cars I passed on with rust and structural issues, before finding the car I now own. It was and still is 99.5% rust free already had nice paint and interior and needed only replacement of front end and suspension components, brake and fuel lines and general detailing to end up with a very nice car - the kind of work that is do-able at a defined cost and on a reasonable completion timetable. As for buying a done car, I was at a local show yesterday and looked at a 65 C code fastback done as a Shelby clone and it was done beautifully, bumper to bumper. Outstanding paint, panel fit and finish, all new interior, glass etc., the underneath was as nice as the topside, fresh 331 stroker etc. the car needed nothing. Asking price was 30K with some wiggle room and if your intention is to put together a niche higher level car, you could not come close to sourcing a good core car to start with and duplicating it for the asking price.

I would say it depends on your skill level,& knowing what you can realisticly do. you see so many for sale completly disasembled because they strip them down & have no clue how to put them back together. you also need to know it wont be done in 6 months. show you mine in 2 years

There are elements of both that have appeal. I think everybody in this hobby should do a ground up at least once in their life. After that, it usually makes more sense to buy what you want rather than build it. I'm in the process of finishing up the first build I have done in a long time, and all I can say is that I am not getting any younger. I want a heated garage and a hoist and no deadlines and I would be a lot happier.

I have one more build left in me, then I am done. After that it is sit back and enjoy.

I agree, did a 66 coupe ground up,now my 67fastback,maybe 1 more left in me,getting harder to crawl in &out from underneath & lay there welding & bondo. no room or money for lift.

I agree, if that's the circumstances that he had. I got my '65 in 1987, drove it in high school and college, and then parked it until I am able to redo it on my terms, the way I want to do it. Sure, I'm paying for it in a bigger house/garage, but I'd have that if it was complete. Eventually it will get done the way I want.

On the other hand, I used to work with a guy that had a 'cuda that was published in magazine while he owned it. I asked him about the experience of building it, he said he didn't. Turns out the most he had done on the car was wax it and put gas in it. He bought it after it was finished. And he got published in the magazine. I thought that was just wrong. Maybe I'm just gulible or something, but when I thumb through my favorite Mustang magazines and read an article about a nice car and it's owner, I like to think that the owner had done at least a little bit of work on it.

Not everyone who enjoys owning a classic has the ability or desire to build one. If it was not for those type people, the restoration shops would not have a place in this world.

To me, honesty is the thing. I will be the first to say what I did on mine vs the previous owner. Even is I buy a completed car, I will change things to what I like. That not only personalizes it to me, but I learn how the PO did the work and what the quality level is.

I think it absolutely cost less to buy, especially now. But there is no feeling that can beat the look on someones face when you tell them you did the work. I love the long nights in the garage, sliding around on an ice cold concrete floor, cussin rusty floor pans, and most of all the feeling in your stomach the night you first fire a brand new engine. For me, the time I spent with my old man restoring the car could never be purchased.