buying a 96' gt-opinions needed

• Sponsors (?)

Gearbanger 101 said:
Better than driving around in something that's often widely recognized as senior citizens, or insurance salesman’s car.

.....that's also an Automatic to boot! :(

:rlaugh:

Ya but you'd be smiling as your Cougar's floating over our crappy Manitoba roads while I'm :fuss:
Having a "sleeper" can be a lot of fun too:nice:

I say buy it:nice: I was all into buying a 5.0 until I found my 96 GT and I dont regret buying it one bit. Just get some 4.10's and some good radials and you will be set, also lower it.

Pennywise2 said:
With NPI heads,few boltons,and crappy tires my 14.7 isn't bad. :D
That's what I ran after my bolts ons and gears. After the intake swap I hit 14.5...cams and tires...what you see in my sig. I'm shooting for 13.5 as it sits then headers make there way on.

COramprat said:
That's what I ran after my bolts ons and gears. After the intake swap I hit 14.5...cams and tires...what you see in my sig. I'm shooting for 13.5 as it sits then headers make there way on.
Yes,I admit their is room for improvement on my car.
Your times are really good Congrats you should consider some L/T headers
that should get you their.I will probably do PI cams.I want to do PI intake
but, I don't want to get a coolant leak because I don't know where to put
the RTV on the coolant ports.How did your PI intake swap turn out
Coramprat?

well, thanks for all the info guys, i think i may pursue this car a little more now. as for the mods the car has it has headers full exhaust, that i can tell neways, havent even driven it yet...so thats the plan for today...also it only has like 90k on it. and it is a 5speed :nice:

motorjock205 said:
Well, I have a 96 GT that I bought 2 1/2 years ago and have been pouring money into it ever since...the body and interior was in good shape, but the previous owner had dogged the suspension to death...The motor now has over 169,000 miles on it and it is still strong. I actually love the car and have had several people try to buy it from me since I moved to Maui, Hawaii and had the car shipped here from Texas. Guess I'm going to have to put a "NOT for Sale" sign on it. Just check the car out, get a carfax check on it, that will let you know if it has been in any major accidents or anything like that. Overall, the 96-98 are notoriously low on horsepower, but they are still fun cars...
Kihei :nice:

My sister lives there and i'll be making my way there full time within a year or so and definately not much of a mustang scene. Have you checked out the Hawaii Forums yet?
http://www.forumshawaii.net/vbb/index.php
there will be a street car shootout at Maui Raceway in Aug...i might be there again for it. I'll have to shoot you a PM when i move.

Pennywise2 said:
Yes,I admit their is room for improvement on my car.
Your times are really good Congrats you should consider some L/T headers
that should get you their.I will probably do PI cams.I want to do PI intake
but, I don't want to get a coolant leak because I don't know where to put
the RTV on the coolant ports.How did your PI intake swap turn out
Coramprat?
well it doesn't make sense to do any mods if your not gonna do the intake because thats a major cork. When you are ready let us know and we will show you pics of where to put the RTV...its rather easy.

I got my 96 GT 2 years ago and I still love the way it drives. I think is was stock when I got it but I did notice it ran ALOT stronger when i put 93 octane gas. Anything less it would knock and run slugish. GO FOR IT! As with most mustang owners, it doesn't matter what year you get your probably going to modify it for more HP.:nice:

DropTopPony said:
well it doesn't make sense to do any mods if your not gonna do the intake because thats a major cork. When you are ready let us know and we will show you pics of where to put the RTV...its rather easy.
Thanks for the future help Droptop. :nice:
I will ask when the time comes.
I am doing the PI cams first though because I will be getting
the cam tool soon.

Pennywise2 said:
Thanks for the future help Droptop. :nice:
I will ask when the time comes.
I am doing the PI cams first though because I will be getting
the cam tool soon.
you might as well do them together...you can find a nice used pi intake for @125 shipped in the classifieds here or on corral.
pm me your email address and i'll shoot you some pics.