buying a house right beside his parents

So we are buying this house, right beside his parents. I love them to death but I am so scared that its going to be like an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond. How without being a total a$$ can we tell them that we need our privacy? Im scared I am going to offend his mom and she will get pissed.

• Sponsors (?)

Dont get me wrong I love my parents , and i am sure you guys do too, but I found i need a little distance, nothing like gettin it on and your mom walks to your front door. Then again i have friends who dont mind living next to the folks.... Good Luck

we just moved in with my wife's folks because they are elderly and can't live by themselves any longer. they are ok but they can get on my nerves. we are still getting used to living together.

are your in-laws they reasonable? if so, they should understand that they can't just barge in anytime they feel like it.

I don't know where you are in the buying process ... just looked, submitted offer, seller accepted offer etc.

If just looked at house then these options:
1) say you don't like the house because it wasn't taken care of like his parents house and it will cost you a good amount of money to bring it up to where it should be.
2) say there is a pending offer on the home.
3) talked to the mortgage guy and he is slow in the approval process (find something else in the process)
4) They just want too much $$ for the home

If submitted offer:
1) Say the inspection came back as having some serious problems
2) Didn't qualify for mortgage

If accepted offer:
Kind of screwed unless excercised mortgage contingency

The last option is to just be honest and say you don't think this is the house for you. You care very much for the parents but you want everyone to have their own space for the good of the family.

well we are in the loan process everything is actually done all but the appraiser and crap. I think if we sit down with them and set boundaries i think we will be ok but I would hate to be doin the deed one night and look out the window and low and behold the rents are standin there. I would die. Im just really scared about that. and when we do have children the mom telling me what I am doing wrong etc. But I love him parents like they are my own but sometimes they need to let it alone. Im a very kind hearted person so I will just hate for the confrontation yah know

damn it I did it again..... Im on justins name when i should have been on mine.... Opps sorry baby.

SeventyMach1 said:
well we are in the loan process everything is actually done all but the appraiser and crap. I think if we sit down with them and set boundaries i think we will be ok but I would hate to be doin the deed one night and look out the window and low and behold the rents are standin there. I would die. Im just really scared about that. and when we do have children the mom telling me what I am doing wrong etc. But I love him parents like they are my own but sometimes they need to let it alone. Im a very kind hearted person so I will just hate for the confrontation yah know

damn it I did it again..... Im on justins name when i should have been on mine.... Opps sorry baby.

Just keep in mind .... you currently get alone with them because you don't live with them :rolleyes:

I'll answer this Grady style:

10 foot tall stockade fence with a gate in it.

Good fences make good neighbors.

At least you won't be gettin calls from cops from neighborhood noise complaints!!

You will save a MINT on day care if you're gonna have kids.

Adam

Poor Justin....lol

Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't do it....and this goes back to the "cheap day care" idea....it's just as easy for them to call Justin at any time of day and ask him to do cheap labour for them. If he replies with..."Can't dad, car's broken and engine's all over the driveway", dad can say...."no it's not, you lying sack of monkey crap, now get over here and trim the ****in hedges"

Justin = screwed at that point.

my .02

the only thing that Justin's dad will ask him to do is help him in the garage with a new toy or the car. Yea he'll hate that. Thats his dream come true. As for me, his mom is very crafty and loves to plant flowers etc... I can't cook very very, I can kill a fake plant, and I have no sense of crafty ideas at all. So she can help decorate the house, plants flowers, and watch the little ones when we have them. Good deal.. I think the fence is an even better idea. We just couldn't turn down the offer that we we given for this house. GREAT DEAL and it beats the tiny ass apartment we are living in now paying rent thats going no where. Our landlords have like 500 chickens and like 28 kids. I think living beside his parents will be better then living above our landlord. Don't get me wrong its a nice apartment but just wasting too much money and don't have a damn thing to show for the $400 a month. Our house payment is only going to be $415 a month. We will just have to invest in the fence, dark blinds, and heavy curtains.