buying advice needed

ronaldriske

Mar 25, 2004
I'm going to look at a 96 cobra that I might buy. I've owned a 04 GT but have never even looked under the hood on a SN95 4V. What things should I look out for when I'm checking out this car? What are some know problems with them? Is there anything special I should do during a test drive?

Thanks a bunch in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

For one, there was a TSB that may have expired on the overheating issue. This has been discussed several times here so it will be found using the search function.

As for what to look for while driving, make sure there are no noticable knocking or ticking. When you are driving around 3300-3400 you should feel a slight rush from the engine. That is the IMRC's opening up. Also check shifting and see if the gears grind and also check reverse.

Other than that, check for normal wear and tear.

Thanks. I looked at it today. The cooling tsb had been done and I checked the car out with a mechanic's stethicsope (sp?) and didn't hear anything abnormal. The guy selling it said he had never seen anyone so thorough...
I know it doesn't look like I've used the search feature but I have read about a million posts from searches as I've been doing my research and I've been lurking here for a while and other places trying to find out as much as possible.