Buying an engine stand and lift.

1973mach1

May 19, 2003
PA
Anyone know how Pep boys Prices and Autozones prices are for engine lifts and stands? Think I can get both for under 200? I been checking out there web pages but couldn't locate them. I decided to pull my 351c, im gonna pull it by itself without the trans I think it might be easier this way. DO either if them loan the lifts out? I'd perfer to by them if there cheap though. It looks like it should be a fairly easy job, only problem I see is lining the enging back up with the bellhousing and getting a good seal. I figure I can change the torque converter while im in there and detail the engine bay.

Thanks,
Jim

• Sponsors (?)

I work at autozone and last time I checked the lift was like $200 and the stand lke $47.... or something like that. And yes, i have heard it is easier to pull the engine/trans as a unit, just pull the hood off first and don't forget to disconnect the linkages and everything.

The Swede

oddjobbb said:
you may not believe this but it really is easier in the long run to pull the engine and tranny together. makes installation much easier.
The hard part there is bolting the tranny to the engine while it is on the crane. Every engine stand I have seen bolts to the block where the tranny needs to be. But as long as you have the ability to tilt the assembly at will you are right. Also, do NOT use the carb plate/bracket if you have a tranny attached.

The local farm chain (Blains farm and fleet) has pickers for 150 and stands for 45. Get a stand with 4 legs for better stability. I pulled my engine and left the auto trans in. It wasnt hard getting it to match back up but it did take a little adjusting. Thats where the engine leveler came in handy. F& fleet carries those for 30.If your going to change the converter change the front tranny seal while your at it. Search this site for t coverter installation.All in all not a bad job.

1973mach1 said:
Anyone know how Pep boys Prices and Autozones prices are for engine lifts and stands? Think I can get both for under 200? I been checking out there web pages but couldn't locate them. I decided to pull my 351c, im gonna pull it by itself without the trans I think it might be easier this way. DO either if them loan the lifts out? I'd perfer to by them if there cheap though. It looks like it should be a fairly easy job, only problem I see is lining the enging back up with the bellhousing and getting a good seal. I figure I can change the torque converter while im in there and detail the engine bay.

Thanks,
Jim

Personally I think Ebay or a place like Harbor freight is the best source for these item, I also got my stand and hoist from ebay. Make sure where ever you buy it to also get the load leveler......you never want to try putting in an engine without one because it it the biggest pain in the....well anyway....another thing I have notice recently is engine hoists with a stand built into the lower part of the assembly.....you do not want one of these.... I can't recall how many times I have had an engine on my stand and needed to use the hoist for something else in the 2 yrs I have owned it....so buying a unit that is all one peice would not have been good.