Buying First Mustang...89 Coupe 5.0

Nuzzi

Jun 2, 2014
CT
Im going to take a look at what might be my first mustang tonight and thought I would ask your opinion, its an '89 lx coupe supposedly factory v8 5spd (ill check the vin when I see it) Ive done all the research on what to look for so more or less just seeing what I should actually pay. Its a hardtop, power windows, tilt wheel, red interior which I don't mind, says has surface rust on towers but no holes and floors are solid (supposedly). Heres a list of mods:

weld in connectors, headers, full exhaust, e cam, trick flow intake, afr heads, msd ignition, posi with 4.10 gears.
Asking $4500. original color was grey, its currently flat black with weld wheels. don't know the mileage. Says needs minor work, what do ya guys think...
00i0i_iRpcpSrqTKs_600x450_zpsa5f2eb3b.jpg

Attachments

• 00i0i_iRpcpSrqTKs_600x450.jpg
    00i0i_iRpcpSrqTKs_600x450.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 326
  • 00606_hfTMHBxykJ_600x450.jpg
    00606_hfTMHBxykJ_600x450.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 389
  • Sponsors (?)

Welcome to Stangnet!

As far as the price on a car like this, it's honestly worth whatever someone is willing to pay. For me personally, the paint would be a major player in the scheme of things. Also I would be curious as the the mileage on the motor and look for any supporting paperwork showing a rebuild. Depending on how minor that the work required is you may have some wiggle room on the pricing.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldnt pay that much for a spray painted car with minimal mods. I would definitely have to see paperwork on the engine mods and rust on the towers is nasty. I've known people to scrap who cars because of rusty towers

You could part that engine out for over 2k. It's a mild build but aside from the cam used great parts. That said check the tq boxes in the rear and the shock towers. Me thinks this car was likely pushed hard and beaten like a red headed step child.

The motor seems to be the best value besides it being a 5spd coupe. I say if it's clean it's worth it. People all too quickly forget how much it costs to do a decent HCI top end build (at least $3k!!) But you need to figure out if the car has been abused.

My list of concerns,
Car have AC?
Check body lines for uneven gaps that aren't normal (i.e. fender to hood lines, door to quarter panel gaps)
Flat/matte black paint can look cool however don't clean up very well and always look dirty.

Make sure you get that thing warmed up real good and take it for a long drive. After the drive don't turn it off, let it idle for a while and check for over heating and radiator fan kicking on/off like it should. Then turn it off and try to start it again. Your wanting to check for hot start issues.

Good luck!

I'm more concerned about the car, than the nice parts list that comes with it. How many miles are on it? Does everything in the interior work? Fit and finish? That sort of thing.

The mods sound great...but anyone can buy those. Finding a good clean solid car is a different story

Reactions: 1 users
I understand what you guys are saying but 1k heads, a letter cam, and a stock bottom end with who knows how many miles is hardly worth 3k. And if the body is worn with rust, thats another problem. For that money I'd buy a stock appearing car and put my own cam and heads on it. At least I would know how many miles are on the junk

To me in the picture the front fender (lower part) where it meets the front bumper looks pushed in. Something looks off as well where the lower part of the drivers door meets the fender. Could just be dirty and i'm seeing things.

Also, what's up with the window, is it off track? Doesn't look right at the top where it meets the weather stripping.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned about the car, than the nice parts list that comes with it. How many miles are on it? Does everything in the interior work? Fit and finish? That sort of thing.

The mods sound great...but anyone can buy those. Finding a good clean solid car is a different story

Finding a good clean solid Fox is very difficult. Just got to find a good foundation to build on and bring it back to life like I'm doing with my 88 cali coupe. Everything I find is out of my price range or just a smelly pile of poop.

To me in the picture the front fender (lower part) where it meets the front bumper looks pushed in. Something looks off as well where the lower part of the drivers door meets the fender. Could just be dirty and i'm seeing things.

Also, what's up with the window, is it off track? Doesn't look right at the top where it meets the weather stripping.
There is a fender piece that's suppose to be there..... its gone

Thanks, I see where the fender looks a little funny and the glass looks off track. I'm not afraid to work on stuff and I don't care about a/c etc. Basicly just wondered if the parts and basic platform was worth it. Im waiting to hear back about the mileage , I'm also a welder so that's not a real big issue if it needs fixing. I am worried about it being tweaked just by the way the fender is, also there seems to be a small gap between the fender and a-pillar but I see that on almost every Fox I've looked at. Trying to find a good v8 coupe around my area is a needle in a haystack, even a hatch is hard to find. Dam small towns.

Thanks, I see where the fender looks a little funny and the glass looks off track. I'm not afraid to work on stuff and I don't care about a/c etc. Basicly just wondered if the parts and basic platform was worth it. Im waiting to hear back about the mileage , I'm also a welder so that's not a real big issue if it needs fixing. I am worried about it being tweaked just by the way the fender is, also there seems to be a small gap between the fender and a-pillar but I see that on almost every Fox I've looked at. Trying to find a good v8 coupe around my area is a needle in a haystack, even a hatch is hard to find. Dam small towns.
Mileage would be a deal breaker for me even though these cars have 5 digit odometers. The fender isn't tweaked, there is a plastic body piece that bolts on that is missing. That gap, is really not a gap but more the way the light is shining on the rubber from the quarter windows. Take a look, you might change your mind

Looks like a new alternator, probably 3G if it has e-fans. Has a Summit aluminum radiator, the AC lines are still there hanging around. Ask him if he still has the compressor for the AC. They did the AC delete that moved the PS pump up. Engine bay doesn't look rusty to me, just dirty.

You should go look at it. Look the title over for any branding to make sure it's not really a salvage and look at the core support upper and lower and Torque boxes. From there it's really up to you if you want to fix it up and make it near perfect. But so far it looks like a good start and everyone is flexible on price. Offer him $3,800 or something (in person).