Buying Mustang GT with 98K Miles Maintenance ??'s

bgbg22

Dec 5, 2005
Hey guys, i am buying a used 2001 Mustang GT. Its Automatic Unfortunately, but im in college, and finding a good deal is the best way to go for me. I'm buying it from a family friend for 5,900. I think its a good deal, but the only problem is it has 98,000 miles on it.

Im not a mechanic, and im not sure about all the components under the hood of a Mustang GT. Im just into adding parts( exhaust, intake, headers,gears, etc).

As for maintanence on a Mustang over 100,000 miles or getting close to it. Is there anything I should be replacing if hasnt been replaces alrdy, and how often should i replace them, ( if there is any).

I figured Id give you guys the topic, b/c honestly i dont trust my local mechanic, hes cheap.

Any ideas would help. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Buying New Mustang GT 98k miles on it. Maintenance ??'s

Hey guys, i am buying a used 2001 Mustang GT. Its Automatic Unfortunately, but im in college, and finding a good deal is the best way to go for me. I'm buying it from a family friend for 5,900. I think its a good deal, but the only problem is it has 98,000 miles on it.

Im not a mechanic, and im not sure about all the components under the hood of a Mustang GT. Im just into adding parts( exhaust, intake, headers,gears, etc).

As for maintanence on a Mustang over 100,000 miles or getting close to it. Is there anything I should be replacing if hasnt been replaces alrdy, and how often should i replace them, ( if there is any).

I figured Id give you guys the topic, b/c honestly i dont trust my local mechanic, hes cheap.

Any ideas would help. Thanks, i also posted this in tech on accident.

Happy 4th of July to everyone:flag:

yea, for a 2001 gt, that is way too many miles..i have a 2001 GT with 69,998 miles...yea i can't fathom rolling over 70,000 miles : (

but honestly, i would keep searching for a GT with lower mileage because that is way too many for the year...

98k is NOTHING!

jesus christ people, you act like 100k means the car dies on its face. cabbies putting 2-300k on crown vics DAILY! if they were that crappy they would have ****canned them for civics. wonder why? no civic can put up with that sort of abuse daily.

i have almost 92K on my 02 GT. Commuter car before me (i knew the previous owner, lived around the corner). aside from a squeaky throw-out bearing and some random moan under takeoff in the rear, everything else is sound as can be.

general maintenance is a good habit to learn. things id start out with are:

1) Tranny Fluid change
2) Tranny Filter change
3) Rear End fluid change
4) Motor Oil change
5) Oil Filter
6) Fuel Filter
7) Run a half a can of Seafoam through it
8) plugs (NGK TR6 or Motorcraft OEM's)
9) Clean MAF with connector cleaner
10) Clean IAT with carb cleaner (or equivalent)
11) check brakes

i think youd end up spending ~$500 on maintenance(especially if you go with synthetics like Royal Purple or Mobil1), but thats peace of mind knowing your car is now up-to-date as far as maintenance goes, and from then on you can go by the nominal schedules for maintenance items.

if you decide to seafoam it, do it in the order i specified. putting in new plugs then seafoaming can possibly foul the new plugs. better to run the seafoam then do plugs after youve ran the car a day or two. you can do a search on seafoaming a 4.6L on here for the how-to.

Maintenance before Mods. unless you dont care about longevity of your vehicle.

I wouldnt be afraid of the miles either and for the price, you might as well pick it up and drive it. Thats a good price and you can enjoy the car. I put well over 20k miles on my car last year and the only thing I had to do to it was a clutch, and that was my fault, other then that, it started and ran flawless everyday :nice:

98k is NOTHING!

jesus christ people, you act like 100k means the car dies on its face. cabbies putting 2-300k on crown vics DAILY! if they were that crappy they would have ****canned them for civics. wonder why? no civic can put up with that sort of abuse daily.

i have almost 92K on my 02 GT. Commuter car before me (i knew the previous owner, lived around the corner). aside from a squeaky throw-out bearing and some random moan under takeoff in the rear, everything else is sound as can be.

general maintenance is a good habit to learn. things id start out with are:

1) Tranny Fluid change
2) Tranny Filter change
3) Rear End fluid change
4) Motor Oil change
5) Oil Filter
6) Fuel Filter
11) check brakes

i think youd end up spending ~$500 on maintenance(especially if you go with synthetics like Royal Purple or Mobil1), but thats peace of mind knowing your car is now up-to-date as far as maintenance goes, and from then on you can go by the nominal schedules for maintenance items.

if you decide to seafoam it, do it in the order i specified. putting in new plugs then seafoaming can possibly foul the new plugs. better to run the seafoam then do plugs after youve ran the car a day or two. you can do a search on seafoaming a 4.6L on here for the how-to.

Maintenance before Mods. unless you dont care about longevity of your vehicle.

:stupid: This b1tch KNOWS his stuff!

My buddy has a Crown Vic with 261,000 miles on the original engine. Purrs like a f^cking kitten! 5 grand is a steal. I say go for it, if the interior/body is clean.

1) Tranny Fluid change
2) Tranny Filter change
3) Rear End fluid change
4) Motor Oil change
5) Oil Filter
6) Fuel Filter
11) check brakes
This is a good list. But I'd also check the spark plugs and air filter and replace them if they're bad.

Also, like Kilgore said, you should inspect the suspension parts, mainly the shocks and struts and replace those if needed too.

cabbies putting 2-300k on crown vics DAILY!

Damn!!! :D

1) Tranny Fluid change
2) Tranny Filter change
3) Rear End fluid change
4) Motor Oil change
5) Oil Filter
6) Fuel Filter
11) check brakes

Good list. I'd add a coolant flush and a brake bleed. If I did the Seafoam, I'd do it first (at the beginning of the list).

Maintenance before Mods.

Absolutely.

Damn!!! :D

Good list. I'd add a coolant flush and a brake bleed. If I did the Seafoam, I'd do it first (at the beginning of the list).

Absolutely.

+10 on all the stuff.
The 4.6 and the GM 305/350 (Caprice taxi/cop cars) are 2 of the most *bullitt* proof engines ever made. Considering the price it should give you plenty of use.
As for buying an import for good gas mileage, it's not a bad idea except that you will be getting a car with similar mileage, probably a higher price and parts/maintenance costs that will be sky high. You'll also find that when you do have probelms, getting help on the net from groups like this is more difficult unless you happen to have one of the more popular models.

ok thanks alllot, i got alot of information, im not 100% sold on the car yet, the price is 5,900 which is a steal, but the 98 does worry me a little. Im bringing one of my friends who works on bmws and fords at dealerships to come inspect the engine.

As for suspension. It is easily on my first list of mods. Im def changing the whole setup to get a non 4x4 look and ride.:flag:

i'd go for it, if you can afford gas (and it has a clean title, 5k sounds too good to be true). 15mpg if you drive it all city at $3 a gallon might be a problem if you're still in college eating nothing but ramen soup and cold hot dogs. i've been there but gas was under $1.50 back then

have your friend look for sludge buildup in the engine (look into the oil filler cap with a flashlight) and check the trans fluid.

have you even driven the car yet?

If it makes you feel better, I have 172K on 96 GT manual, it's my DD, and I drive it pretty hard, but I maintain it religiously. I'm with Thomas, that's a great list, and pretty much what I do. No mechanical parts have been needed, just the usual stuff for this model year and/or age on the car. Cracked intake, weak coil packs, radiator hoses, new Fluidyne radiator, belts, plugs, etc.

J

Hell yea cop that hoe. Thats about 10 grand less than i paid for my 02. Granted it had 60,000 less miles. I'd definately get it. Even if it has a couple little maintenance problems for the price you can afford to fix them