Buying New Car 03 Mach vs 01 Cobra

stng

Jul 27, 2005
So after much debate I have decided I am going to sell my car and upgrade to 4V again... Based upon what I can afford I am either going to be getting an 03/04 Mach 1 or a 2001 Cobra. Does anyone have any input on which of the two would be a better choice? I personally am leaning towards the 01 Cobra but it seems that price wise out here they are pretty close.

Unless I am mistaken it is the same motor in both cars?:shrug: The 01 Cobra still has the 5 speed and not the 6 speed? Just looking for any information and/or opinions.

Thanks in Advance :SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

The mach 1 has a solid axle (vs Cobra IRS), similar brakes, and a moderately high compression 4V (~10.1:1 vs cobra ~9.5:1). My compression figures are ballpark, but either way the motors are not the same. The forged crank is only available in the 5-speeds, autos get the GT nodular iron crank. The cobra and Mach put out similar hp figures, and both are good for low 13s with a good driver. I like both cars, and honestly if I had to choose between the two, it would probably take me a couple weeks of deliberation to decide. I really don't think you can go wrong either way...

If it was a car you were going to keep for awhile mach1 provided you like the more retro look of the mach1 the interior the shaker etc.
Otherwise the cobra, irs handles better, interior is more modern.

power wise it's a toss up.

No contest. Mach 1 hands down. If you were talking '03-'04 Cobra or Mach 1, then that would be more of a toss up. You'll be able to pick up an '01 Cobra for alot cheaper than a '03-'04 Mach 1 though. The cheapest private seller of a Mach is gonna be $17,000 and up.

Well I have been pricing them out here, Mach's are 17k+, where as the 01 Cobras seem to be 16k+ so price wise it is a toss up. True enough the mach's are going to be at least two years newer... I had heard the same as metioned above that the m5 machs have a cobra crank vs the a4 cast. Is there anything mechanically that sets one apart from the other? Are the blocks the same? The 01 cobra still has the aluminum six bolt main block right?

MineralMan said:
Unless you want the IRS (or possibly a convertible)... go with the Mach.

This would be my determaining factor. If you wanted to go with a vert and/or like the curves, the Cobra is the way to go. Coupe or if you must an auto, I would go with a Mach. GL with your decision. Mustang either way, so you can't loose.

So I found an 03 Mach 1 with only 12,712 miles on it. Its Black on Black, Manual, and only $19,988! Mind you I only just started looking but this seems like an incredible deal. What do you guys think? The vin is 1FAFP42R53F399746 if anyone could run a car fax that would be huge.

I say if the price is right go for it, but you can't really go wrong with either one. Mach is more set up for the dragstrip but I tell yea it's a blast around down and just fine for me as a DD.