Buying New Car: 2017 Mustang Or Camaro

1966StangGT

Jan 4, 2017
Good God - I know this might start a :poo:estorm. I hope it doesn't though.

Full disclosure - I've been a GM driver for my past 4 cars (Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, G8GT). But, my first car was a 66 Mustang GT. I am now needing a new car.

I was originally drawn to the 2016 Camaro. But, to give it a fair shot, during a recent business trip, I drove a 2016 Mustang GT for 8 days. And, I really liked the Mustang! So, now I'm torn.

I've driven both cars. I like both, and would be happy spending my money on either one. Therefore, I'm reaching out to both communities (I'm on Camaro6.com, asking similar questions) to see what their thoughts are.

No, in answer to your question - I'm not "basing" my opinion on what other people think. But, you guys know your cars the best. I'm asking for the things you like and dislike about Mustangs. And, also about the Camaro. Again, I'm doing the same over there. Then, in the end, I'll be weighing everyone's comments in my own decision.

Here's what I'm looking for (been to dealerships and obtained the following pricing):

2017 Mustang GT Premium - $43,575
6-spd
GT Performance Pkg (6-piston Brembos, larger tires, 3.73 axle, heavy-duty springs, etc.)
401A Equipment Group (premium radio, memory seats, etc.)
Reverse system
Premier Trim (red leather)

2017 Camaro 2SS - $47,598
6-spd
Black wheels
Red leather
Magnetic shocks
6-piston Brembo brakes
Dual-mode exhaust

Essentially, the same performance options on both (3.73 axle, upgraded suspension, upgraded brakes, etc.)

The Camaro is almost exactly $4,000 more. But, is it worth it?

Thanks for all your help!

• Sponsors (?)

Good God - I know this might start a ****estorm. I hope it doesn't though.

Full disclosure - I've been a GM driver for my past 4 cars (Camaro, Firebird, Trans Am, G8GT). But, my first car was a 66 Mustang GT. I am now needing a new car.

I was originally drawn to the 2016 Camaro. But, to give it a fair shot, during a recent business trip, I drove a 2016 Mustang GT for 8 days. And, I really liked the Mustang! So, now I'm torn.

I've driven both cars. I like both, and would be happy spending my money on either one. Therefore, I'm reaching out to both communities (I'm on Camaro6.com, asking similar questions) to see what their thoughts are.

No, in answer to your question - I'm not "basing" my opinion on what other people think. But, you guys know your cars the best. I'm asking for the things you like and dislike about Mustangs. And, also about the Camaro. Again, I'm doing the same over there. Then, in the end, I'll be weighing everyone's comments in my own decision.

Here's what I'm looking for (been to dealerships and obtained the following pricing):

2017 Mustang GT Premium - $43,575
6-spd
GT Performance Pkg (6-piston Brembos, larger tires, 3.73 axle, heavy-duty springs, etc.)
401A Equipment Group (premium radio, memory seats, etc.)
Reverse system
Premier Trim (red leather)

2017 Camaro 2SS - $47,598
6-spd
Black wheels
Red leather
Magnetic shocks
6-piston Brembo brakes
Dual-mode exhaust

Essentially, the same performance options on both (3.73 axle, upgraded suspension, upgraded brakes, etc.)

The Camaro is almost exactly $4,000 more. But, is it worth it?

Thanks for all your help!

I do not know what you'd expect here. Firstly, there is a section dedicated exclusively to s550 Mustangs,...and I can guarantee you before you type one character what they'll say. If there was any love for a Camaro on that forum from any one guy, that one guy would be stoned. They have a hard enough time accepting the damn engine here, much less the whole car.
Secondly, It's a one sided question...... rarely have I ever seen this comment:
"I was torn between the three cars, so I drove all of them",....."I chose the Mustang because"...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My bias is long term. My grandfather sold ford's from 1917 to 1975. It's kind of in my family.

That said, in 1984 i had a brand new Z28. I was such a rebel!

I work in a body shop, so i've had the opportunity to drive both of the newer models. My biggest complaint with the Camaro is the view from the driver's seat. I'm 6'2" tall and it's seems difficult to see properly. The 1/4 sail panel is obtrusive and the hood is high setting and seems longer than it actually is. I suppose these are things a person could get used to. Like a gimped leg, after a while, you don't notice you're limping.

Both of the newer vehicles make bitchin power and offer all sorts of cool amenities. Your choice brother. I like both, but i like the S550 more.

I just bought a '16 gt this year and have zero complaints. Not one. I love every single thing about it, it is an extremely well thought out car and performs better than any mustang I've ever owned that was stock. I understand that new direct injected lt1 in the camaro is a beast, and makes a little more hp than the ford, to be honest.. But I'm at the age where I'm not going to race some guy in a Camaro in town, so that doesn't matter to me. I love my Mustang. And- for 4 grand? I'll pass on the 20 hp or whatever difference.

I do not know what you'd expect here. Firstly, there is a section dedicated exclusively to s550 Mustangs,...and I can guarantee you before you type one character what they'll say. If there was any love for a Camaro on that forum from any one guy, that one guy would be stoned. They have a hard enough time accepting the damn engine here, much less the whole car.
Secondly, It's a one sided question...... rarely have I ever seen this comment:
"I was torn between the three cars, so I drove all of them",....."I chose the Mustang because"...

I realize I'm going to get mostly one-sided answers here. But, that's OK. I'm also expecting to get one-sided answers on the Camaro forums. It's when I combine the opinions of both camps that I will be provided a fill picture of each car, from the people who are most passionate about them.

Mostly what I expect (or hope) to get are details about the cars that I may not know about. Details that magazines don't talk about.

For instance - both cars have an option for "6-piston Brembo front brakes". However, let's look at the details:

Here's the Mustang package, which costs $2,995:
• 19" X 9" (F) 19” X 9.5” (R) Ebony Black-Painted Aluminum Wheels
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Turn" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-Duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Spoiler Delete
• Strut-tower Brace
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio

And here's the Camaro package, which costs $3,175:
- 6-piston Brembo® Red brake calipers
-Slotted rotors and pad upgrade
-Front brakes only

Why the heck does Ford include all that other stuff, for $180 less?

My bias is long term. My grandfather sold ford's from 1917 to 1975. It's kind of in my family.

That said, in 1984 i had a brand new Z28. I was such a rebel!

I work in a body shop, so i've had the opportunity to drive both of the newer models. My biggest complaint with the Camaro is the view from the driver's seat. I'm 6'2" tall and it's seems difficult to see properly. The 1/4 sail panel is obtrusive and the hood is high setting and seems longer than it actually is. I suppose these are things a person could get used to. Like a gimped leg, after a while, you don't notice you're limping.

Both of the newer vehicles make ****in power and offer all sorts of cool amenities. Your choice brother. I like both, but i like the S550 more.

Yeah, the Camaro certainly feels more like a coffin. When I read reviews and opinions where people say they can't see, I totally understand. But, for some reason, it doesn't bother me.

I think it's because I raced cars for a number of years. Doing that, I got very used to having peripheral vision impaired by a helmet, rollcage, window nets, etc. I also got used to knowing exactly where the corners of the car were, without having to be able to see them (kind essential when you are giving a guy a bump-draft at 130mph).

I guess, to me, the Camaro feels like a glove, and the Mustang feels like an open stage. Both are great - but they're very different.

I just bought a '16 gt this year and have zero complaints. Not one. I love every single thing about it, it is an extremely well thought out car and performs better than any mustang I've ever owned that was stock. I understand that new direct injected lt1 in the camaro is a beast, and makes a little more hp than the ford, to be honest.. But I'm at the age where I'm not going to race some guy in a Camaro in town, so that doesn't matter to me. I love my Mustang. And- for 4 grand? I'll pass on the 20 hp or whatever difference.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to figure out. What is there that's worth the extra money?

Sure, they look different. But, that's a subjective thing. Some people like red, others like blue. Neither one is wrong. Some people like the way the Mustang looks, others like the Camaro. Neither is wrong. But, those things don't cost money (assuming that it costs the same for Ford to stamp a piece of sheet metal in one shape as it does for GM to stamp one in another shape).

I'm worried (and fairly sure) that I won't see much of a difference in performance between the two until I get out on a track. You simply can't find the limits (safely) of either car on public roads. So, to see if the Camaro is worth that extra, I need to get it on a track. But, I can't get it on a track until I buy it. Kinda of a Catch 22.

I realize I'm going to get mostly one-sided answers here. But, that's OK. I'm also expecting to get one-sided answers on the Camaro forums. It's when I combine the opinions of both camps that I will be provided a fill picture of each car, from the people who are most passionate about them.

Mostly what I expect (or hope) to get are details about the cars that I may not know about. Details that magazines don't talk about.

For instance - both cars have an option for "6-piston Brembo front brakes". However, let's look at the details:

Here's the Mustang package, which costs $2,995:

And here's the Camaro package, which costs $3,175:

Why the heck does Ford include all that other stuff, for $180 less?

You mentioned magnetic suspension on the Camaro. To be fair, the Ford doesn't have that until you step up to the Shelby. Personally, that wouldn't be worth 4k for me, but I did drop the extra 2k on my car for the performance pack.. so, ya know.

This is just a guess as I haven't driven either of them, but I would think the Camaro may feel a bit more refined based on the fact that it's built on the same platform as the Cadillac ATS. Subjectively, I think the Camaro looks better. I'm just not a fan of the new Mustangs styling at all.

This is just a guess as I haven't driven either of them, but I would think the Camaro may feel a bit more refined based on the fact that it's built on the same platform as the Cadillac ATS. Subjectively, I think the Camaro looks better. I'm just not a fan of the new Mustangs styling at all.

Thanks for bringing that up - I forgot to ask. What's the "heavy duty springs"? As in, do they advertise the actual spring rates (or, better yet, has anyone calculated the wheel rate?)? And do they revalve the shocks when thy put on the new springs?

If you want a rear window you can see out of, more interior room, a smoother ride, side windows you don't have to duck to see out of (I'm tall, you might not have the issue), and more modern looking gauges, get the Mustang.

If you want gauges that look like the ones from a 70s GM truck, useless gauges on the console, a sore neck, a badass heads-up display, slightly more leg room, better stereo choices, and the feeling of being in a fighter jet cockpit, get the Camaro.

If you want the best of both worlds, the best warranty, but no V8 and no HUD and can live with how ugly it is post-facelift, buy a Hyundai Genesis Coupe, but don't bitch at me when you destroy the rear diff if you drift or drag race it.

If you want comfort, pure nostalgia, and to give up reliabilty, buy a Dodge Challenger, its the best looking, and it's got a hemi.

There's my take on all four cars in the segment.

I wouldn't kick any of them out of my driveway, but the Camaro comes in last for me primarily due to the :poo:ty visibility.

If you want a rear window you can see out of, more interior room, a smoother ride, side windows you don't have to duck to see out of (I'm tall, you might not have the issue), and more modern looking gauges, get the Mustang.

If you want gauges that look like the ones from a 70s GM truck, useless gauges on the console, a sore neck, a badass heads-up display, slightly more leg room, better stereo choices, and the feeling of being in a fighter jet cockpit, get the Camaro.

If you want the best of both worlds, the best warranty, but no V8 and no HUD and can live with how ugly it is post-facelift, buy a Hyundai Genesis Coupe, but don't **** at me when you destroy the rear diff if you drift or drag race it.

If you want comfort, pure nostalgia, and to give up reliabilty, buy a Dodge Challenger, its the best looking, and it's got a hemi.

There's my take on all four cars in the segment.

I wouldn't kick any of them out of my driveway, but the Camaro comes in last for me primarily due to the ****ty visibility.

Yeah, the Mustang definitely has more interior and trunk room. And better sightlines. I can't even consider the Challenger (which is taller, bigger, and heavier than my 4-door G8 right now).

Not sure what you mean about the gauges, though. Are you thinking about the 2010-2015 Camaro gauges? I hated those things with a passion. Literally one of my least favorite interiors on a car ever. But, the new ones look really good.

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah, the Mustang definitely has more interior and trunk room. And better sightlines. I can't even consider the Challenger (which is taller, bigger, and heavier than my 4-door G8 right now).

Not sure what you mean about the gauges, though. Are you thinking about the 2010-2015 Camaro gauges? I hated those things with a passion. Literally one of my least favorite interiors on a car ever. But, the new ones look really good.

hqdefault.jpg
Okay, I stand corrected, haven't been in a 2016 yet, those gauges are nice. I work on used cars for a living for a big dealership chain, so I drive and work on literally anything and everything. Once in awhile, I do much bigger versions of the little review I did earlier in this thread on various makes and models, mostly for amusement value (I know I'm amused writing them, hopefully someone else likes them too).

Having driven all three of the true pony cars and Korea's really good attempt at one (seriously, give one a spin, you probably won't buy it if you're looking this seriously at the Mustang and Camaro, but I guarantee you it'll be fun!), I favor the Mustang, but only slightly.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-for...iews-or-just-the-rantings-of-a-madman.893390/

Last edited:
I always try to find a road test in one of the enthusiast magazines when looking for a new car and there was a comparison of the Mustang and Camaro in a recent Car and Driver or Road and Track. Check out your neighborhood library for a copy. I believe the Camaro was favored this time around.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and give you a third option.

Historically I'm a Ford guy (owned five mustangs, currently own a 2010 GT). I really prefer the Mustang from a driver's perspective, and in my opinion it's a MUCH better looking car than the new Camaro. The Camaro doesn't look bad in pics, but in person it really seems bloated (especially in lighter colors like white) and tall, and there are the visibility issues...although it does seem more roomy inside if your body-type is large or heavy.

Performance-wise (don't hate me guys) the Camaro kills the GT. That might change with the 2018 Mustang if there's a HP increase. The GT350 would be my choice over a Camaro, but there are those greedy dealers that want to charge $20K over MSRP for them, and you have to get a manual transmission, which may or may not be an issue.

I've always wanted to own a convertible, which pushes up the price of either the Mustang or the Camaro, and neither car looks as good with the top up, as they do in hardtop form.

So what do I think you should get? .....A C7 Corvette Stingray. They're discounted heavily (if you buy from one of the big dealerships and have it shipped); think $49K with manual transmission for a base C7. You get a removable top and even the 1LT base package has leather and infotainment system. The car is in an entirely different league than either the Mustang or Camaro in my opinion, with appearance, comfort (the seats are incredible), and performance.

Between the Mustang and Camaro? I'd probably still get the Mustang, based on style alone...but I'd wait for the 2018 hoping for a horsepower boost.

I don't understand why anyone would buy the new Camaro over the Corvette, other than the need for that (mostly non-functional) back seat. The Corvettes are discounted so heavily now, they're nearly the same price as the Camaro (just a couple thousand more).

Last edited:
But, those things don't cost money (assuming that it costs the same for Ford to stamp a piece of sheet metal in one shape as it does for GM to stamp one in another shape).

It does cost about the same, always have. But Chevy has traditionally been more expensive than a Ford. For example, the truck I just traded in had a sticker price of 49,700 and after I got it I went on the chevy site and priced out a comparable Chevy truck and it stickered for over 55K and that was back in 2013. You can't make the same comparison now as the ford trucks are aluminum and chevy is steel so the price gap has closed somewhat. But if you compare like for like vehicles the chevy always cost more.