Buying some used parts. Need some advice!!

Numbles

Dec 10, 2003
Chicago, IL
Alright Im gonna spill the beans. I wanted to buy the parts and try to install everything on my own but Ive got a few questions. Im gonna go look at some afr 185's on sunday. As well as a 95 Cobra intake. Now regardless if they flow well together, i can get the afr's for a steal and the cobra is gonna cost, well, what everyone has to pay to get them.

My question is for the heads. How do I know if Im looking at 165's or 185's I know they say AFR on the side so thats a givaway that they are AFR's. But does anyone know. Plus when I look at the heads, how can I tell if they are pedestol or stud mount. Im gonna buy both the intake and the heads regardless but if this GIRL tries to pull a fast one Id like a heads up on what Im looking at.

Thanks
Dan.

• Sponsors (?)

Go to AFR's website and write down the part numbers, they are stamped on the heads right by the AFR logo on the front of the head. This should also tell you if they are pedestal mount or not too. If they have studs in the heads that the rockers go on, then they are stud mount. You do know that 185's will not clear the stock pistons don't you? If the price is right I'd still buy them though as you can either get new pistons, or if you absolutely have to you could get the stock ones notched. ROL makes a thick head gasket that might work too, but you have to worry about quench.

I was waiting for your reply Killer. That info is very helpful especiall about the pistons not clearing. But I think im gonna buy them anyway and get a new short block while im at it because this goin over 100k thing is starting to scare me. Especially the way i drive when I get on it.

Thanks fot the tips, ill let everyone know how I make out.