Bye Bye Motor

Black Stampede

Founding Member
Sep 3, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, my wavering oil pressure issue at idle finally made itself more clear of why. I posted about this last year curious as to why it was doing it. As soon as the car would get up to temp it the oil pressure would flutter downward, but go right back up during driving. I had hoped it was just a bad pump, but when the pump replacement got underway Friday, shavings in the oil said this project was going to be extended and far more frustrating.

So, of course, this motor is garbage as is. I am pretty set on just finding a stock replacement since with a stock tranny I am not going to be pushing the stock block anyways. So with that being said I am not trying to find a stock relatively lower mileage shortblock to throw in. If anyone near Michigan has one or knows of one let me know.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The quick fix is just getting a stock block or having your existing one sent out to the machine shop. Either way it's not that expensive if you do the work yourself and the car will be back on the road in no time.

See if you can grab an Explorer engine somewhere. With some GT40's, or GT40P's, you could swap springs and the cam and pick up a few horses while saving up for another engine. Check Car-Part.com. There's one on there as cheap as $150 with high mileage.

Here is the update. I picked up a used DSS 306 complete with canfield aluminum heads and a Hughes camshaft. The guy made 579 rwhp with this setup and my same turbo at 15 psi. He didn't recall the torque, but on a turbo setup I would imagine it was at 675-700 rwtq. Needless to say I am extremely excited and can't wait to get it all back together and tuned!

Kurt, I will have to look into those. Are you familiar with RPM t56s? Someone mentioned those to me as well.

Not real familiar with the RPM T56. I assume it has a Viper output shaft, stuff like that. I wasn't sure if you were looking to buy an off the shelf T56 or get one modified. The Magnum is rated to like 700 ft/lb of torque. Kind of has to be because it's factory equipment on the Aston Martin. For an off the shelf transmission, you just can't beat that Magnum for the money. There are definately more strengthening options for the standard T56, but the Magnum comes with the triple ring synchronizers for much better shifting for a street car.

Kurt

Not real familiar with the RPM T56. I assume it has a Viper output shaft, stuff like that. I wasn't sure if you were looking to buy an off the shelf T56 or get one modified. The Magnum is rated to like 700 ft/lb of torque. Kind of has to be because it's factory equipment on the Aston Martin. For an off the shelf transmission, you just can't beat that Magnum for the money. There are definately more strengthening options for the standard T56, but the Magnum comes with the triple ring synchronizers for much better shifting for a street car.

Kurt

Yes, that sounds exactly like what I want. 700 ft lb of tq is just about what I want it to be able to handle. What is the best price you have found on one?