C3/C4 Automatic interchangeability question

tjm73

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2000
Rush, NY
Does anyone know if the C3 3 speed auto that was put in early Rangers, Pintos and Mustang II's has interchangeability with the C4?

I am trying to determine if the 2.3 to C3 bellhousing fits the C4 transmission. In the picture below from the Ranger Stration ( www.therangerstation.com ) it looks like the drawing depicts the C3 as being very similar to a C4.

I ask this here because of the number of guys running the C4. Someone probably knows.

c3trans.gif

Attachments

• c3trans.gif
    c3trans.gif
    79.9 KB · Views: 2,305
  • Sponsors (?)

There are supposedly 2.3 liter to C4 bellhousings, but I do not believe there are any C3 to 289/302 bells. Since the bell is used for front pump retention, I doubt they would be interchangeable.

The 2.3 to C4 unit is supposedly an old Pinto/Mustang 11 combo.

The C3 morphed into the A4ld and 4R55E etc, so you might look there for a setup.

rd said:
There are supposedly 2.3 liter to C4 bellhousings, but I do not believe there are any C3 to 289/302 bells. Since the bell is used for front pump retention, I doubt they would be interchangeable.

Yeah I would like to put a C4 behind a 2.3 in a very lightweight street rod. There were 2.0/2.3 C4 combos in some Pinto's, but they are difficult to find, so I am investigating other options.

There are C-4 2.3L trannys out there. Pintos & Mustang IIs are the only cars I know for sure they came in. The C-3 is completely different from the C-4 and was ONLY offered behind 4 cyls and 60 degree V-6's. The C-3 is NOT strong enough for a V-8 even if you could make it fit behind one. The C-3 and C-4 share no interchangable parts and bell hsgs. will not interchange either.
The C-4 behind a 2.3 is a good and do-able swap that would work well in a lightweight streetrod.

bobcatv8 said:
There are C-4 2.3L trannys out there. Pintos & Mustang IIs are the only cars I know for sure they came in. The C-3 is completely different from the C-4 and was ONLY offered behind 4 cyls and 60 degree V-6's. The C-3 is NOT strong enough for a V-8 even if you could make it fit behind one. The C-3 and C-4 share no interchangable parts and bell hsgs. will not interchange either.
The C-4 behind a 2.3 is a good and do-able swap that would work well in a lightweight streetrod.

Thanks for the clear answer. :nice: