c4/auto trans question???

90FoxBdy

Founding Member
Jun 17, 2000
Linthicum, MD
I recently rebuilt a c4 and am getting ready to drop it in with my new motor. I have bolted everything together, but when I went to spin the crank by hand i cant find neutral while clicking through the gears. My question is should I be able to find neutal or does the motor have to be running and pumping fluid. I am new to autos please ignore my ignorance. Thxs

• Sponsors (?)

if you didnt here is what you need to do. pull the engine or trans (your choice) place the convertor on the input shaft and while pressing in with your hands turn it clockwise until you feel it click 3 times. thats how you set it to the pump. you will hear it and see it go in. if you do not do this and just bolt the engine and trans together you cause the input on the convertor to smash the drive ring for the pump and it will not function and good by trans.

Ok it definetly was not seated all the way now it is, however still dont feel neutral. The engine and converter will spin when the bellhousing is a little loose. Once you snug it up you cant spin the engine at all. Everything locks up. Is that how its suppossed to work? Am i missing something obvious.

c4 trans

Ok it definetly was not seated all the way now it is, however still dont feel neutral. The engine and converter will spin when the bellhousing is a little loose. Once you snug it up you cant spin the engine at all. Everything locks up. Is that how its suppossed to work? Am i missing something obvious.

ok take it apart one more time make sure the flexplate/flywheel is on correct. i think your convertor is not fully seated wich will kill the trans. so as you turn the convertor kinda jiggle and push it in at the same time do this for a bit. then bolt it up slowly. when the bellhousing bolts are tight you should have a small clearance beetween the convertor and flywheel. then go ahead and try turning the engine over to make sure its still not all locked up. then tighten the convertor nuts it should pull the convertor foward until it seats against the flywheel. and make sure the engine is not locked up or overly tight.

let us know if you got it.

its not fully seated then. you have to spin it until you know for sure you hear and feel it click 3 times. 2 times is still enough to ruin the pumps drive ring. and i know this may sound silly but you do have the convertor bolts through the flywheel right?

Im still having the same problems. I pulled it out and pressed the converter on a couple of times and am definetly getting 3 clicks. The converter is sitting a little over 1inch 1/8 inside the housing. It stll binds up when bolted in. Is there different thickness block plates? Flexplate is fully seated and will only go on one way.

i dont know man. thats odd. the convertor should be an inch or maybe a little more inside the bellhousing. hope you didnt bind up the pump :( measure the distance from the back of the block to the font of the flex plate. you should have a little more distance than that.

i know on my car i can half ass line up the studs with the hole and start the bell housing bolts and get it roughly 1/4" from touching the block and can pull the convertor until the studs barley come through the holes then i can lock it down. dont leave the bell farhter than a 1/4" away from the block because then you risk pulling the convertor back off the pump.

According to TCI website the convertor is seated properly at 1 1/8inches, which is what I have. Going to look more into the flexplate being f'ed up tomorrow. I have another laying around somewhere. just not the one I need. Ill post more tomorrow. Thxs

Anyone have their motor on a stand with a flexplate bolted to it they coud measure the distance it extends out?????

flexplate

one other thing usally the balance weight on the flexplate is facing to the rear. also is your convertor a tci? if it is you usally have to drill the convertor stud holes in the flexplate bigger. i did this on my c6 for my 63 bird.

so pull the convertor out and fit it to the flexplate.

other than that you got a wierd ass issue.

Went out today and swapped flexplates, with the old one I gained 1/8 inch (block to outer edge of flexplate). Bolted up the trans and I am able to spin the converter by hand. Problem solved for now. Now I have to find a new flexplate and get it weight matched. The one that didnt fit is SFI, the one that works is not. Thxs