Drivetrain C4 Conversion Problem

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by hopson, Oct 23, 2013.

1. hopson

hopson New Member

Need some help or advise. My AODE in my 93 foxbody lost 3rd through OD. So instead of rebuilding the AOD I went with the PA C4 (Performance Automatic PA26107K) setup from JEGS. http://www.jegs.com/i/Performance-Automatic/732/PA26107K/10002/-1
    The reason for going with C4 is its a drag strip car and maybe on the weekends I run to town and back. We are having trouble with the flexplate its a 164 tooth mounting up to the bellhousing. We had everything bolted up and started turning the motor over to install the torque converter bolts in and the motor would not turn over. So we started looking at the flexplate and the teeth where hitting the bellhousing. Thought it might be the torque convert not going into the crank or not being lined up right. Mounted just the bellhousing to the the engine block and the teeth still hit the bellhousing. Has anyone had this happen? I ordered another bellhousing from Quick Time Bellhousing RM-6061 (http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Time-Bellhousing/698/RM-6061/10002/-1)that they recommended and when I received that bellhousing its for a 157 tooth (never took it out of the box) so that did not work. Should I go with a 157 tooth flexplate? And do i need to change the starter? Just need some advise and it will be thankful if someone could get my foxbody off the jack stands. Jegs said i can send both bellhousing back if needed. In the pictures you can see where the teeth hit the flexplate. It is tight all around the bellhousing.

Always replaced t5 with tremec 5 speed! My first auto transmission and still learning!

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. pearlnotchback

pearlnotchback Active Member

Ya man you need a 157 tooth flywheel. I used a starter from a 65 289 Mustang on mine. Do this and your good to go. :nice:

hopson likes this.
  3. MY 85 GT

MY 85 GT Well-Known Member

The c4 i had had an JW sfi bell housing said right on it 164t the AOD flexplate fit mine i did but an SFI plate tho...and you shouldnt need to change starters my bell housing had 2 postions for a 157t or 164t flexplate so you can still use the stock starter..in my case anyways...

hopson likes this.
  4. hopson

hopson New Member

We took the flywheel off yesterday and its the stock flexplate. I believe the flexplate was balanced with the motor. You can see a weight has been welded to the back of the flexplate on the left side of the pic. Does it make a difference if it was balanced to the motor when it was put together? Do I need a internal balanced or external balanced flexplate?
    Anyone recommend brand of flexplate and starter or part numbers. Just like to get the tang rolling again.

Thanks for the info and help.

Attached Files:

5. pearlnotchback

pearlnotchback Active Member

157 tooth with 50 oz. balance. I wish I had some part numbers for you but I did mine along time ago. Dont forget you need to run a vacuum line to the modulator valve on the trans.

hopson likes this.
  6. robert fugate

robert fugate Member

You wont need the vacuum line if its a manual which i would hope it is. I used the stock flywheel with mine so it should work. Though there are a few different c4's. I would contact jegs because i dont see which one it is from the link.

hopson likes this.
  7. 84Ttop

84Ttop They make new pistons every day, so why worry?
    SN Certified Technician Mod Dude

Showcase:
    Like the others have said, 157T flex plate is your answer, 50 oz balance and you should be fine. I like the stock 93' mini starter as it saves some space too!

hopson likes this.