C4 Kickdown Leak

adr3naline

Jun 27, 2010
Utah
I've got a leak where my kickdown attaches to my transmission. The leak was bad enough that it fried my neutral safety switch... so before I get a new switch I want to fix the leak. I've seen others here mention that they've had the same problem, but I've never seen a solution... how do I get to the seal? What's the procedure to fixing this leak?

• Sponsors (?)

The shift shaft seal requires removal of the valvebody. It is a metal clad seal. The kickdown uses a unique oring. The cross section is square and has grooves. They are not easy to get, and they don't always seal.

I've got a leak where my kickdown attaches to my transmission. The leak was bad enough that it fried my neutral safety switch... so before I get a new switch I want to fix the leak. I've seen others here mention that they've had the same problem, but I've never seen a solution... how do I get to the seal? What's the procedure to fixing this leak?

Before you start gutting the tranny, check to make sure the "0" ring behind the shaft is good. It should be behind the neutral sw.
Good Luck

The seal behind the NSS is a metal clad. Meaning it has a stamped steel outer ring with a rubber seal that goes around the manual lever. The o-ring goes inside the end of the manual lever shaft and under the kick down lever which is held to the kick down shaft with a nut.