C4 questions RE: year and shift kits

CarFreakGT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
May 26, 2003
Louisville, KY
Is there a casting number or other identifier on a C4 to denote its year of manufacture?

I've been told that the bolt patterns were different during some periods. FWIW, it is currently bolted up to an 87 block, but that is not the engine that it is going to stay with. Plan is to pair it w/ an 84 block. I don't anticipate a problem, but I am curious. I am moving the car (on dolleys) and will only be able to access one side temporarily--trying to determine if one side will be better than the other to find a casting number.

Also, any recommendations RE: shift kits? I see kits available from B&M, TransGo, TCI, and Hughes Performance. Any feedback on any of these, or recommendations of others to explore?

TIA

Bryan

• Sponsors (?)

Is there a casting number or other identifier on a C4 to denote its year of manufacture?

I've been told that the bolt patterns were different during some periods. FWIW, it is currently bolted up to an 87 block, but that is not the engine that it is going to stay with. Plan is to pair it w/ an 84 block. I don't anticipate a problem, but I am curious. I am moving the car (on dolleys) and will only be able to access one side temporarily--trying to determine if one side will be better than the other to find a casting number.

Also, any recommendations RE: shift kits? I see kits available from B&M, TransGo, TCI, and Hughes Performance. Any feedback on any of these, or recommendations of others to explore?

TIA

Bryan
Bryan,
Mustang Monthly has a nice article about the C4 in the January 2011 mag. the C4 was produced from '64 thru '82. It was replaced by the C5 and updated with a "lock-up" converter. It was replace in '86 by the AOD. When I rebuilt my '68 C4 (used in my 64.5), I used the beefier components of the later models as I was pushing anywhere from 350 to 400 RWHP. Personally, I used a Trans Go kit with the larger "C" code server. Does you tranny still have the tag? This is where most of the mfg ID stuff is located. I'm assuming your tranny pan is square, as well.
Probably not much help, but, there is a lot on the web.
Good Luck!