C4 Trans leak from shifter arm shaft....

red302

Founding Member
Nov 21, 1998
Peru, IL
My C4 is leaking from the shift arm shaft. Looks like the trans has come apart to change the seal. Tell me it isn't so, and there's a way to fix it without dropping the tranny out and tearing it apart! :Damnit:

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you are talking about replacing the 'shift shaft seal'. If so, you don't need to drop the trans to do it - you just have to remove the pan and valve body. Once you have those out you can get to the shift shaft area. The shift shaft assembly was a little complicated - there are 5 or so pieces that make up the shift shaft.

If it is the kickdown o-ring it is a breeze. Just remove the nut and there is an o-ring behind the lever. If it is the shift shaft seal, the valvebody has to come out, but on my 67you can change the SS seal w/o removing the trans. The kickdown o-ring is really not an o-ring, it has flat sides with grooves. I have heard of people using standard o-ring with success though.

You can find a few pictures of what the tranny looks like inside at my web site: http://www.geocities.com/dennis_2685/frtpump.html

Here is what it looks like under the valvebody. The shift rod is at the top.

tranny9.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll try an o-ring behind the kickdown lever first, but I'm pretty sure it's the shift shaft seal. Glad to hear I can change it from under the car! :nice: It used to leak just a drop every now and then. I installed a B&M Megashifter, and since bolting on the new brackets, and messing with the shift shaft, it's started to leak worse. Going to have to do something about it now.