C5OE 289 heads?

I didn't want too take over anyones thread so i'll start one. I've got a set of (C5OE) 289 heads i got from a friend, What size cc chamber do these haeds have and what kind of compress could be exspected on a 91 302 HO shortblock (forged flat tops)?

• Sponsors (?)

So would i be better off picking up a set of E7's for it or would having them ported out help (my dad's really good at porting. Or what other junkyard heads (years and what the came on if possible) would be a good choice too try too find. My local salvage yard has alot of older cars and trucks as well as newer stuff.

Ah didn't realize the motor is a 302.
E7s are typically 64cc chambers and run in the 9.5:1 range.
54s will get you in the 10.4:1 range, on the ragged edge of pump gas and iron heads.

You will need hardened seats and new pushrods. Also the rocker arm setup is completely different than the pedestal mount stuff.

So you might look into having your dad port the E7s and run a 1011-2.
Or run the 289 heads and run a 9333 gasket.

Unless you can get some Austalian Cleveland heads(small chambers and ports) for free, you might as well get some aftermarket aluminum Windsors. Even the "2v" 351C heads would probably be borderline big for a 302.

The E7s are around 60-61cc; most 351W heads are 64cc. A good porter could probably get 220/180cfm out of the better stock iron heads(like E7s or D0OEs).

The 351W E7's are the same cc's as the 5.0 heads. 64+ or - 1-2 ccs. Only difference between the two are the bolt holes. If you want flow AND compression port the C5 heads. Only way to equal that with E7's is to mill the crap out of them. The plus side of E7's are the induction hardened seats, but that only goes so deep into the iron. Work them too much and you're back into the same iron the 289 heads have. Another plus to the E7's are they readliy accept the 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers which can be had used for $100. With a mild cam, they're a good bang for the buck, you get .030 more lift, plus the reduced friction from the roller trunions. Ford says they're good for about 15 hp.