c6 ZO6 vs 03 Cobra Vid

• Sponsors (?)

The comments section said it was not even a Z06, it was just a C6 with full exhaust!! The cobra had pullies and a tune and in the first race was like 30 cars behind!!! The cobra driver did suck though.

5spd GT said:
I like to compare with a better comparison. Gt40 vs. the new zo6. Much closer in every category of performance:) Difference in price is quite the contrast...

There is more to it that just "straight-line"...

But you weren't comparing the Ford GT. You were comparing the GT500 to the Z06 .... and you stated that the Z06 was a "much less price".

Of coarse there's a huge difference when comparing it to the GT. And BTW, the new ones are not GT40's ..... they're 44" tall ... so they didn't get that name.

As much as I hate to say it the C6 generation Z06 is just about the best bargain you can get for the money- an aluminum smallblock 427 (the LS7) putting out 505hp on all motor, hydroforged aluminum frame, specially baffled exhaust, the list goes on and on. Sure 70k isn't cheap to the everyman but what you get is an exotic world beater you can have serviced at your chevy dealership.

As for the GT500 I imagine it really isn't in the same class as the Z06- again look at the weight of the Z06 (3132lbs) with 505hp vs the shelby GT 500 (3920lbs!!!-thats for the coupe, the ver is 4,040lbs!) with 475hp, and you see there really is a large gap. Sure you could spend more to get the horsepower levels above and beyond the Z06 and perhaps even put the GT500 on a diet, but in the end it's all coulda shoulda woulda. I give Chevy credit for making a great car and ford as well, but I honestly believe they are in two different realms of performance.

But hey that's just my opinion :p

SeventyMach1 said:
And BTW, the new ones are not GT40's ..... they're 44" tall ... so they didn't get that name.
The reason they are called Ford GT instead of GT40 has nothing to do with height. Ford refused to pay the trademark fee, hence they could not call it a GT40 as they had originally wanted to (and in fact Ford called the show car a GT40).

Bone stock, the C6 Z06 traps faster in the quarter mile than a Cobra equipped with an Eaton. Anything less than Kenne Bell need not apply. I have to hand it to Chevy, they have excellent engineers, and they have built what is likely the best bang for the buck performance car ever. For what you get, it is a steal.

Dave

Chevy hit the nail on the head with this one. We just have to accept the fact that our beloved 03-04 Cobras are beatable sometimes. Have you guys seen the specs on this Vette? Like said before it's quite an engineering marvel. It's basically an all out race car that you can drive almost every day and get great mpg for what it is!(19city 28highway) As someone said before, comparing this to a Mustang is like comparing apples and oranges. Way too different cars.

Oh yeah, did you guys read MT(I think it was) when they compared the Viper, GT, Z06 like a couple months ago?? I think they ranked the Z06 in first place and then the GT then the Viper. Reasons why they rank it first was, cause like Rootus said, for what you pay you get a ton of a car. In almost every timed test the Z06 was within a second of the GTs time.* All this while being $75-100K less than the GT. Not that $75K is easy to shell out in the first place for a car but if I had the dough I'd go for the Z06 and save myself a lot of mula and be up to par with the GT.

*This is from what I recall reading just in case some has that issue and wants to prove me wrong.

EDIT: Might of been Edmunds I guess that had the comparison test. Here is the specs with a video clip: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=108567/pageId=67618

SeventyMach1 said:
But you weren't comparing the Ford GT. You were comparing the GT500 to the Z06 .... and you stated that the Z06 was a "much less price".

Of coarse there's a huge difference when comparing it to the GT. And BTW, the new ones are not GT40's ..... they're 44" tall ... so they didn't get that name.

I believe GRGT1994 got you covered on the latter;)

myers - Look at the facts, a new zo6 will take out the gt500 in every performance catergory:nice:

The driver in the Cobra was just fine...sounds like the vette was either an actual zo6 or a look-alike modified c6.

5spd GT said:
I believe GRGT1994 got you covered on the latter;)

And apperently I got you covered on the price .... because you seem to be avoiding that now. :rolleyes:

And no .... that statement I made about the GT40 name was from a Ford man that traveled with the concept car before it was produced. So let's get this straight. The GT40 name was bought (by Bob Wood) several years ago. The ORIGINAL name of the NEW car was "Ford GT" ... it just picked up "GT40" as a nickname while in it's infancy. Like stated, Ford originally knew the name of the new car would be "Ford GT" ... because the old GT40 car's name came from it being 40" tall .... where the new car is 44" tall.

Anyway .... the Z06 is without a doubt an excellent car .... even for the price. I know I have somewhat compared it with the GT500 (even though it shouldn't be). That just makes it fun. :nice:

After looking at the video and listening closely...Thd cobra driver dosent nail it until the Vette hit second gear. Unless the vette's exhaust was so loud it covered up the blower whine, there is no Blower whine from the camera car until the vette hit second gear. On the second race, the cobra takes off like he should...I dont understand why the vette walked him so much. He shifted fine. I dont think the facts are straight. The MOST that vette could have is 450hp (LS2+full exhaust) at the wheels. A pullied cobra should have at LEAST 400hp at the wheels. 50 hp would not let a car get stomped by bus lengths.

well i guess i have to give chevy Huge Props on there supercar with its super engine. That car is Amazing, i remember in the Car & Driver mag a while back on the first release of the c6 and i think it either beat or came close to beating the viper. Chevy has it with that ls7 that is amazing. i guess i still like the gt500 but a vette could beat it but i would still love to own a gt500

red ink said:
After looking at the video and listening closely...Thd cobra driver dosent nail it until the Vette hit second gear. Unless the vette's exhaust was so loud it covered up the blower whine, there is no Blower whine from the camera car until the vette hit second gear. On the second race, the cobra takes off like he should...I dont understand why the vette walked him so much. He shifted fine. I dont think the facts are straight. The MOST that vette could have is 450hp (LS2+full exhaust) at the wheels. A pullied cobra should have at LEAST 400hp at the wheels. 50 hp would not let a car get stomped by bus lengths.

Torque is what gets you moving, horse just keeps you there. More power in this case, over the whole power band. Lightweight (titanium in some places) internals. About 800 pounds difference (at least, depending on passengers) in weights. Much better stock tires. Stiffer chassis putting the power down better. Better suspension. Better aerodynamics.

Peak power doesn't tell you squat. You can't tell anything until you take it to the track. There's a moderator here who with a 30x HP, 3700 pound 95 mustang VERT ran a 12.0x with a N/A 302. That would eat a 03/04 Cobra by about half a second.

You have to look at the whole picture. The new Z06 is the real deal.

Adam

Black95GTS said:
The new Z06 is the real deal.

Adam

we have a winner. hell even a C5 Zo6 will take a 03/04 cobra--don't even argue, GM high tech performance ran a 11.97 with a BONE STOCK C5 ZO6 with STOCK air pressure in the rear tires.

btw we had a friend of the owners park his spankin new ZO6 in the basement garage yesterday--window sticker has an MSRP of $71k fully optioned, before options it was $65k.

theres a couple of guys around here that got into the mines faster than yours war. it started with a bone stock 03 cobra. the other guy went out and bought a stock 01 SS camaro. the cobra no longer now with a kenne bell and live rear axle is getting toasted by the SS now with ls-1 383 afr's fast composite intake and dyno tune without the help of the 250 shot of nitrous. the guy that owns the cobra is recovering from cancer and his legs are still kinda weak so he isnt able to shift as fast as he can. the cobra is in the mid 10's and the camaro is low 10's.

SeventyMach1 said:
And apperently I got you covered on the price .... because you seem to be avoiding that now. :rolleyes:

Lol, you don't know me to well on here. I don't avoid anything...

Anyways, I assumed upon my first post that he got confused and was trying to compare it to the "GT" and not the GT500 because I thought that was a silly comparison and not fair at all. Obvious winner there...

Your fairly close on your pricing...

red ink said:

Yes, it was the exhaust that caused you not to hear the blower whine. The vette was closer then. He was on it (cobra).

This is potentially a ls7 powered vette. That would become closer to explaining the outcome.

He did shift fine, your right.

5spd GT said:
Lol, you don't know me to well on here.

Correct. Of coarse, this is the 94-95 section (where I usually hang out) .... so I don't see you post much. No hard feelings.

BTW, I guess the GT vs. Z06 is a "better" comparison .... but still not a "good" one. Yet again .... we've got apples to oranges.